[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 9

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (02/05/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 9      Mon Feb  4 19:44:50 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   Re: Re: Elle 41C
   Termcap problems are over on my console!
   uploads to piggy
   Request for Discussion: comp.os.coherent
   A better ls
   Porting
   Finger v2.0 uploaded to piggy
   Help on multiply referenced i-node
   How does one create a directory from within a program?
   slow mail..

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: 29 Jan 91 19:14:18
From: trystro!root@Think.COM (Richard Nickle)
To: think!fcsys!coherent
Subject: Re: Re: Elle 41C

- -->BTW, check out the GNOME editor (a Microemacs-dirivative) at piggy.ucsb.edu.
- -->I haven't looked at it yet, but it may be a good alternative.
No, it's not a good alternative to Elm, I uploaded as a good alternative
to MicroEMACS because it has much better on-line help.  It doesn't handle
big files though, and it doesn't work with the -A option on cc (if you use it).
It's closer to Elle and regular EMACS as far as commands go though.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 91 01:32:03
From: shinobi!engr!shadow (Only the Shadow Knows)
To: engr!coherent
Subject: Termcap problems are over on my console!

Finally found a solution to all my clam, less, rf, and other assorted
console display problems!  If I define my TERM as h19a instead of ansipc,
everything works hunky-dory!  I hope this helps others!
- --
James E. Ward      ...uunet!uark!shinobi!shadow   shinobi!shadow@engr.uark.edu

Spock: We suffered 23 casualties in that attack, Captain.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 91 03:45:33
From: trystro!root@Think.COM (Richard Nickle)
To: think!fcsys!coherent
Subject: uploads to piggy

I uploaded the following to piggy last night, if anybody
is interested, they are in /pub/incoming:

comb121.sh.Z	screen oriented mailer with smart-host routing
		fixed some bugs in it, and added the ability
		to specify which mailbox you want to open with
		a -f on the command line.

gnugo01.Z	gnu's version of go
gnugo02.Z
gnugo03.Z

ogre01.Z	wargame.  destroy the killer super-robot.  curses.

miles01.Z	port of mille bournes.  'rally race' french card game.
		curses.

I'm working on filling up a disk for bob at mwcbbs.  I uploaded
comb121 to mwcbbs about an hour ago.  I'll be mailing him (by surface!)
stuff I found on piggy, the above-mentioned, and a couple other things
I haven't ported re-checked my ports yet.  If you want me to send him
anything else and it's not on piggy now, up it and let me know.
I'll mail that too.  (uh, within the next day or so.)

Rick

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 15:00:53 CST
From: lark@cat.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman)
To: coherent
Subject: Request for Discussion: comp.os.coherent

It would be appropriate for me to issue an apology
to all of you for not searching hard enough to find the net support group
for Coherent before posting my RFD.  Sorry.

I owe a special thank you to Scott Rose for sorting out communications
difficulties between me and Curt Sampson in the hours of confusion
when we both issued our proposals for new groups.

Especially, I owe thanks to Curt Sampson for shelving his own
effort on which he had spent much time and thought to support the
proposal for a comp.os.coherent newsgroup.

There has been some curiosity and misunderstandings about the requirements
for forming a newsgroup in the formal hierarchy (comp.os.* in this case).
For those who are interested, look for a document entitled
GUIDELINES FOR USENET GROUP CREATION, which is posted in
news.announce.newusers, news.groups, and news.admin.  The current guideline
in effect is the version ammended Sept. 6, 1990, by Eliot Lear.

The discussion period continues for 30 days, and should be substantially
restricted to news.groups.  Of course, you can and should notify others
you wish to support the effort, via email.  The announcement was sent out
to all groups I thought may contain a readership that would be interested
in comp.os.coherent.  The discussion on news.groups should focus on whether
there should be such a newsgroup, what it should be titled, and whether it
should be moderated.  NOTE: Any discussion of these issues should take place
in news.group in accordance with the guideline.

Please note that voting does not take place until a formal Call for Votes
is issued, which must closely follow the RFD.  If you know people that
won't get an announcement of the Call for Votes, feel free to notify me
and I will send email to those people to make sure they get a chance to
vote.  Votes must be emailed, not posted to a newsgroup, in order to be
counted, and proxy votes are not counted.  Thus, to vote on this issue,
you must simply have a valid email address.  An individual must not vote
more than once.

There are specifics you must follow in voting, but I will detail those in
the call for votes.  Please note that in order for this proposal
to pass, only two conditions must be met:
  * the Yes/Create votes must equal at least 2/3 of the votes
  * the number of Yes votes must exceed the number of No votes by at least 100.
Therefore, if you can get a few friends to vote For in addition to yourself,
I am confident that we will successfully create comp.os.coherent.

- -lar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 1:21:38 CST
From: David Fenyes <dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: A better ls

Hello,

I've dumped an 'ls' on piggy.ucsb.edu in /pub/incoming.  This 'ls' is
about as good as GNU ls, but doesn't run out of memory on HUGE directories.
It has many more features than Coherent /bin/ls, is about the same size,
and is 2-4 times faster for moderate sized or larger directories, although
somewhat slower for tiny directories.

The default output is multi-column to a tty and single column to a pipe,
although if named ll, gives long listing, and other name/function links.
(read the docs).  Environment variables control various aspects of its
behavior.

The indigenous ls has been one of the most annoying features of Coherent;
I'll bet many of you will prefer this one.  You'll also need the ndir
library.

Good luck,
David.
- --
David Fenyes                                  dfenyes@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
University of Texas Medical School            Houston, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Fri Feb  1 21:58:11 1991
From: Bill Henning <bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: Porting

Well,  I've  been trying to port a few programs to Coherent, and I thought
I'd  share some of my experiences.  I am quite happy with my purchase.  It
is  an  excellent  value.   Incidentally,  I  think comp.os.coherent is an
excellent idea, and I will vote accordingly.

Ports in progress:

I   have   previously  mentioned  attempting  to  port  SC  4.1  (a  small
spreadsheet)  to  Coherent,  but  that  port  attempt failed due to memory
limitations.   I  was  however  able  to retreive an older version, and it
appears  to  work.   Unfortunately,  none of the TERM entries I tried work
well.  When the port is stable I'll post it to piggy.

I  have  also tried to port a visual calendar/appointment scheduler called
'month'.   It  is  up  and  running,  however it exhibits the same TERMCAP
related problems as SC.  When these problems are resolved, I'll post it to
piggy.

I am also trying to port a chess game, but that has a problem with wscan -
when  it  executes  scanw("%d",&response_time)  it  dumps core with a "Bad
format in scanf" error message.

Problems:

I  also  have  problems with using TERM=h19a - it messes up vi and less as
well.   In  particular,  going  up  with the cursor above the topmost line
displays  the  proper  new  top  line, but does not scroll the rest of the
display down. I'll take a quick look to see if there is an easy way to fix
the problem.

Clam bug - 'pr file | epson &' then 'ls -l' clams up that shell.

Compress  complains  that it cannot write to /dev/ram1...  a real pain.  I
checked the ownership of /dev/ram1 and it was sys ...  sys.  Logging in as
root  I  still  got the same error message.  I was able to mount /dev/ram0
without  any  problems, what's going on?  I can't be out of memory, I have
4Mb in this box!

Suggestions:

We  need an ANSII compiler.  Quite a few sources that would appear to port
use  ANSII  style  function  declarations.   Now  I  am  quite  capable of
converting  such  sources  back  to K&R style declarations, but I'd prefer
ANSII compliance from the compiler itself.  The most urgent needs (from my
point   of   view)   are   function   prototypes  and  new-style  function
declarations.

We  need  'nice'  and  'nohup'.   It  would  be  'nice' to be able to nice
background print jobs, long tar's, compress, etc.

                                                     ...Bill
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Feb 91 02:41:47 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: Finger v2.0 uploaded to piggy

	I have just uploaded "finger20.tar.Z", a STANDALONE finger
	program to /pub/incoming on piggy.  Documentation and installation
	notes are included.

	Users of romfinger version 1.0 should upgrade to this version as it is
	much faster and is not a who filter, but a standalone finger
	implementation as stated above.

	Cheers,

	-Pred

------------------------------

Date: 2 Feb 91 01:36:01
From: mhm!root@uop.uop.edu (Mohd H. Misnan)
To: uop!coherent
Subject: Help on multiply referenced i-node

Hi,
	I have a problem with my Coherent tar. When I un-tared clam141.tar
using original Coherent tar, my directory was messed up by multiply
referenced directory i-node. I know, I should use gtar instead of tar, but
who know this will happen to me. My question is, how to delete or work
around this problem. I tried to remove the whole directories which have
the same i-node, but still it won't work, my HD stop spinning when I tried
this and it was time to reboot. Any idea on how to delete or remove it?
	Thanks in advance.

Hamid

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 17:43:25 CST
From: Scott Rose <rose>
To: coherent
Subject: How does one create a directory from within a program?

I've searched the list of system calls over and over, but I can't seem to find
a way to create a directory from within a program other than

	system("mkdir fred");

But, if mkdir(1) can do it, WHY CAN'T I?

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 91 18:15:02
From: gbdata!gclark@uunet.UU.NET (Gary Clark)
To: coherent
Subject: slow mail..

Can someone PLEASE take a look at the renews in bsnews and get that
compress and batch working.  I can't really follow the flow the program..
Gary

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 9

--
	Scott Rose