[comp.os.misc] talk/finger from internet to bitnet

alexande@grover.cs.unc.edu (Geoffrey D. Alexander) (02/08/91)

Can someone tell me tell if it's possible to talk or finger between an internet
system running UNIX (SUNOS or ULTRIX) and a bitnet system running VM?  If so,
how?

This probably not the appropriate newsgroup for this question.  Could someone
suggest a more appropriate newgroup?

Thanks,
Geoff Alexander
alexande@cs.unc.edu

winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) (02/08/91)

In article <1368@borg.cs.unc.edu> alexande@grover.cs.unc.edu (Geoffrey D. Alexander) writes:
>Can someone tell me tell if it's possible to talk or finger between an internet
>system running UNIX (SUNOS or ULTRIX) and a bitnet system running VM?  If so,
>how?

Bitnet is a batch only type of network (at least it was the last time I checked)
so, the answer is no.  The only thing you can really do is pass mail if you want
to have a conversation with someone on "the other side."

--
! John Winans                     Advanced Computing Research Facility  !
! winans@mcs.anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois !

terri_watson@cis.ohio-state.edu (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.153015.3814@mcs.anl.gov> winans@sirius.mcs.anl.gov (John Winans) writes:

   Bitnet is a batch only type of network (at least it was the last time I checked)
   so, the answer is no.  The only thing you can really do is pass mail if you want
   to have a conversation with someone on "the other side."

Actually, there is (or was) something on Bitnet called "relay" and was
very much like IRC chat here.  I don't know if you can get on a Bitnet
relay channel from an Internet only site though.

Terri