[comp.os.misc] real time systems

bk@cs.brown.edu (Brian Knep) (02/08/91)

Does anyone know of papers/articles/books about real-time operating systems?
I know that someone is working on a real-time MACH, but references seem
scant.  Thanks.

                     ---  Brian Knep             uunet!brunix!bk
                          Brown University       bk@cs.brown.edu
                                                 bk@browncs.bitnet

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (02/11/91)

In article <BK.91Feb7165840@benefit.cs.brown.edu> bk@cs.brown.edu (Brian Knep) writes:

>Does anyone know of papers/articles/books about real-time operating systems?
>I know that someone is working on a real-time MACH, but references seem
>scant.  Thanks.

Depends on the circles in which you travel; I seem to keep tripping over them
every day.  You should start with the below, and go on the references cited
in it:

Real-Time Mach: Towards a Predictable Real-Time System
        Hideyuki Tokuda, Tatsuo Nakajima and Prithvi Rao
    Proceedings of the Usenix Mach Conference, October 1990

>                     ---  Brian Knep             uunet!brunix!bk
>                          Brown University       bk@cs.brown.edu
>                                                 bk@browncs.bitnet

Fletcher Kittredge
Platforms and Tools Group, BBN Software Products
10 Fawcett Street,  Cambridge, MA. 02138
617-873-3465  /  fkittred@bbn.com  /  fkittred@das.harvard.edu

prithvi@GAUGUIN.ART.CS.CMU.EDU (Prithvi Rao) (02/12/91)

	The work on real-time mach although still in it's infancy has
	some interesting results. We have defined a new real-time
	thread interface and have incorporated the rate-monotonic
	scheduling policy. Essentially this comes down to having
	what we call an integrated time-driven scheduling scheme.
	We have been working on porting the pure-kernel(real-time version)
	to various platforms including the sony/NEWS and rs6000, r3000
	etc. We are working exclusively with the pure-kernel and adding
	the sporadic and deferrable server scheduling policies. We also
	have implemented the priority inheritance capability for
	executing critical sections.

	So we can create periodic and aperiodic threads and have some
	interesting applications to demonstrate the advantage of our
	real-time scheduling policies in real-time apllications. We
	emphasise predictability and so have a toolset that allows
	a user to monitor kernel scheduling activities.

	So at least this gives you a flavour of what we are up to in
	the real-time mach effort. There's lots more so if you're
	interested send me some mail.

	_prithvi