[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 10

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (02/14/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 10      Wed Feb 13 09:52:19 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   How does one create a directory from within a program?
   mwcbbs
   modem-less connection with kermit
   Coherent vs Microport Unix V r3.2
   Re:  Coherent vs Microport Unix V r3.2
   Kermit questions
   NO SUBJECT
   Coherent in Australia

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Mon, 04 Feb 91 10:55:12 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent
Subject: How does one create a directory from within a program?

Scott Rose <rose@cs.wisc.edu> writes:

> I've searched the list of system calls over and over, but I can't seem to fin
> a way to create a directory from within a program other than
>
> 	system("mkdir fred");
>
> But, if mkdir(1) can do it, WHY CAN'T I?

The mknod() system call is used to make a directory.  But it's
restricted to the superuser only.  If you take a look at /bin/mkdir
you'll notice that it's suid root.

cjs

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          | "Do you know what happens when you leave a
curt@cynic.uucp                  | fish too long in an elevator?  No?  Well,
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt | here's a clue: fish is biodegradable." -JBC

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 91 18:12:03
From: hdrock!john@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Welch)
To: lafayet!coherent
Subject: mwcbbs

I had a hiatus in my phone service due to switching
to brand "X" longdistance service.   Now that I can
call the mwcbbs nothing happens and I find
"Unable to read first message" in the log file.

Has anyone else had this problem lately?  I am using
the 3.10 upgrade software and pretty much the same
setup that used to work 3-4 months ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
>/<

John Welch                         Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____              Western Atlas International Inc.
\   \  /   /\   /   /\             =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 \   \/   /  \ /   /  \            Humans   (903) 566-1436
  \  /   / \  /   /\   \           Internet lafayet!hdrock!john@rouge.usl.edu
   \/___/   \/___/  \___\          Bang.....!uunet!lafayet!hdrock!john
You might have mail.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 06:46:04 EST
From: Chet Creider <creider@csd.uwo.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: modem-less connection with kermit

Some of us never do get our act together it seems. A month or so ago I
asked for help sending a break with kermit and was advised by Esa Ahola to
install the version of kermit archived at piggy. I've now done that and
still can't seem to get through. I have Xenix and Coherent on the same
machine, the former with Kermit 4F(095) 31Aug89 and the latter with Kermit
4E(072)24Jan89. On the Xenix partition, the .kermrc file has the lines
set line /dev/tty2a
set speed 9600
connect

on Coherent the .kermrc file has
set line /dev/com2
set speed 9600
connect

The com2 port is connected to a dataline which goes to the main campus
communications network at my university. Once connected, I type Ctrl-\ b
to send a break and then get onto the network. Under Xenix, that is.
With Coherent, nothing happens. All other defaults with kermit are the
same on both systems. Is there something elementary I've forgotten to do?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chet <creider@csd.uwo.ca>

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 10 Feb 91 19:09:38 EST
From: andy mendelsohn <ST401350@brownvm.brown.edu>
To: coherent
Subject:      Coherent vs Microport Unix V r3.2

dear netlanders,
     I would like to ask your advice.  How would you rate the cost/performance
of Coherent $99 or MIcroport Unix V r3.2 (under $200 direct from company).
This would be for a 386 clone.  The basic difference that I can see is that
Coherent includes software development tools.  However, could one get
away using the GNU tools available on the net?

sincerely,
andy mendelsohn
st401350 @brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 10:33:37 -0600
From: lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman)
To: ST401350@brownvm.brown.edu, coherent
Subject: Re:  Coherent vs Microport Unix V r3.2

Go for the Microport, especially if you are running a single-user system.
You do get a C compiler, right?  From there you can bootstrap all the nice
tools you need, like gcc, gnu-emacs, etc.  You probably will need plenty of
RAM on your 386 - 8Meg is nice.

I'm using Coherent basically to keep my 286 alive.

- -lar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 7:02:20 PST
From: @cca.ucsf.EDU:wet!abe (Dave Abercrombie)
To: coherent
Subject: Kermit questions

I recently downloaded kermit from mwcbbs.  It is a vast improvement
over the version that was shipped with Coherent 3.1.0.  However, I
am having some problems with it that I would like to describe.  Any
comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.   I am using a cheap
"Smart & Friendly Zoom" 2400 bps internal modem on com4, and my .kermrc
file looks like this:

          set line /dev/com4l
          set speed 2400
          set modem hayes

1.  Hangup problems

   The documentation says to type "ctrl-\" then "h" to hangup the line
   and return to command mode.  This doesn't work on my system.
   I must go into modem command mode with "+++" and issue "ATH0".  It
   hangs up properly if the remote compter has a logoff/hangup command
   such as "exit".  I have tried nearly every combination of the "AT"
   commands which control DTR, DCD, and DSR (i.e., &Dn, &Cn, and &Sn).
   How can I get "ctrl-\ h" to work?

2. Command file problems

   I can run a dial/login command file just fine from within kermit
   using the "take" command (i.e., by typing "t filename" at the
   C-Kermit> prompt.  However, I get serious problems if try to run
   the same file from the Coherent command line (i.e., by typing
   kermit < filename at the $ prompt).  Kermit starts, the dial is
   performed, the login script is executed, and I am put into connection
   with the remote computer.  But imediately, I get an unending stream
   of garbage characters (mostly x's and little boxes or triangles).  I
   can not stop this stream with any command.  Ctrl-c and ctrl-d do not
   work, and I can get intouch with the modem with a "+++" command.  I have
   had to reboot!  (Luckily, this has not messed up my filesystem yet, but
   I am not to excited about repeating this often.)  How can I run a command
   file to run from the coherent prompt?  I currently work around this with
   a shell script that concatenates a dial/login script to .newsrc, but this
   seems inelegant and unnecessary.

3.  Device/line questions

   As can be seen from the above .kermrc file, I use /dev/com4l with
   kermit.  Nothing happens if I try to use /dev/com4r (no prompt, neither
   kermit's nor Coherents is displayed - I quit with ctrl-c to get back to
   Coherent).  This strikes me as rather curious, as I use /dev/com4r with
   uucp and it works just fine.  My /etc/ttys file has an entry for
   /dev/com4r only.  Perhaps I am confused about when modem control is
   and is not needed for using a com port driver, but it seems to me that
   you would want to use modem control (dev/com4r) with a program like
   kermit.  What is going on?

4.  Modem compatability

   I have not experimented with setting other possible modem types
   in the .kermrc file.  I have a rather cheap modem that is supposed
   to be "hayes compatible" but maybe it is not.  Should I try a
   different modem designation in .kermrc?  I am kind of in the market
   for a new modem (maybe 9600 bps) - does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help.  I will summarize and post any help
recieved by e-mail.  Thanks!

Dave Abercrombie
{ucsfcca,claris,hoptoad}wet!abe
wet!abe@uunet.UU.NET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 07:47:22 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: NO SUBJECT

*** Reply to note of 02/10/91 18:44

Andy,

I would think that it would depend on whether you just want a Unix system for
yourself, or if you plan to do development for others (UNIX). Coherent doesn't
take advantage of the 386, and is not billed as "UNIX." On the other hand,
Coherent is small, and doesn't require 8 Meg of memory to run. If you are going
 to network, or want to use X-Windows, rule Coherent out.

Good Luck!
Gerry

Gerald Skerbitz                         University of Minnesota
612/626-5379  g-sker@vm1.spcs.umn.edu      g-sker.uminn1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 91 07:42:21
From: dalek!bob@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Hemedinger)
To: mwc!cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Coherent in Australia

[From a forwarded message. -Admin.]

Bob,
Several customers in Australia have called to ask where they can purchase
COHERENT in Australia.  Can you pass a message on to Scott Rose and see if he
can post a note on uunnet that states: Australian's can purchase COHERENT
from MArk Williams directly or from several local computer software dealers.
The following dealers are known to be stocking COHERENT: 1) Space Age Import-
Export in Brisbane (07) 266-2270 [phone] (07) 266-3418[fax] 2) Dragon
City Systems in Golden Square, Victoria (054) 42-4547[phone].

Thank you very much,

Jay

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 10
	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801