[comp.os.misc] QNX & QTalk Forsale $400

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (02/04/91)

Hi all!

Due to a (constantly) changing project, I have available
an almost new copy of QNX and QTalk for sale.

For those who don't know, QNX is a multi-tasking, message-
passing architecture for 80xxx series of CPUs.

It has a very small kernal, on the order of 150K, and is
used pretty extensively in real-time and process control.
Quantum Systems offers lifetime technical support and a
dial in bbs.

This software is registered, but I will transfer the registration
with Quantum.

Qtalk is a communications program for QNX with a scripting
language.

QNX is *nix-like in its command structure.

I will only sell these two packages together, as having
QTalk alone is worthless to me.

Together, these two retail for close to $600 (QNX~480, Qtalk ~150)

The Programmer's Connection lists QNX at $385.

I would like to get $400 for both packages, including shipping,
but, I am open to reasonable offers.

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@oasys.dt.navy.mil
                     In Support of the Men of Desert Storm
-------------------------------------(=o=)------------------------------------

woodd@spot.Colorado.EDU (WOOD DEREK H) (02/05/91)

I have a copy of the QNX OS for sale, as well.  This is unregistered,
has complete docs.  $300 or serious offers.  Shipping included.

Derek

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (02/06/91)

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:

>Due to a (constantly) changing project, I have available
>an almost new copy of QNX and QTalk for sale.

Ah, finally decided to give up on it, huh, and join the rest of us with
mainstream *NIX products.

>For those who don't know, QNX is a multi-tasking, message-
>passing architecture for 80xxx series of CPUs.

It's very fast and efficient, too.

>It has a very small kernal, on the order of 150K, and is
>used pretty extensively in real-time and process control.
>Quantum Systems offers lifetime technical support and a
>dial in bbs.

Of course, the BBS is in Canada; international rates apply for those
calling from the States.

>QNX is *nix-like in its command structure.

But is completely un-compatible at the source code level.

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / They're not "bombs".
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  They're "gifts".

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.013047.15240@anomaly.SBS.COM> mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:
>>QNX is *nix-like in its command structure.
>
>But is completely un-compatible at the source code level.

I wouldn't say 'completely'. It supports the standard C library, and
supplements it with its own message-passing primitives. Which is not to
say there aren't inconsistencies. However, this will become moot with the
next release (this spring) which is fully Posix-compliant.

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (02/11/91)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>I wouldn't say 'completely'. It supports the standard C library, and
>supplements it with its own message-passing primitives. Which is not to
>say there aren't inconsistencies. However, this will become moot with the
>next release (this spring) which is fully Posix-compliant.

This is the same Posix-compliant version that they were promising for
1st Quarter 90, right? Then 2nd Quarter 90? Then 3rd Quarter? And so on?

MD
--

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/14/91)

)
)>I wouldn't say 'completely'. It supports the standard C library, and
)>supplements it with its own message-passing primitives. Which is not to
)>say there aren't inconsistencies. However, this will become moot with the
)>next release (this spring) which is fully Posix-compliant.
)
)This is the same Posix-compliant version that they were promising for
)1st Quarter 90, right? Then 2nd Quarter 90? Then 3rd Quarter? And so on?

Sarcasm aside (do you want information, or is it more fun flaming?),
yes, they're a year behind. You can choose to view this as poor
management (or whatever) or a commitment to get it right before
releasing it. In any case, they demo'ed it at their conference
last September and, as far as I know, are on schedule for whatever
date they're currently promising. If you want more information,
phone Quantum.
--

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (02/17/91)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>Sarcasm aside (do you want information, or is it more fun flaming?),
>yes, they're a year behind. You can choose to view this as poor
>management (or whatever) or a commitment to get it right before
>releasing it.

Based upon two years of (attempting) to work with QNX, I view it as
poor management.

>phone Quantum.

No thanks. I made that mistake once already.

MD