[comp.os.misc] Keyclicks and Backups

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (02/21/91)

jfrench@cs.tamu.edu (Jeff French) writes:

>I would also be interested in hearing what type of backup schemes are being
>used on the Coherent file system. With no tape support, this makes a floppy
>backup a must. The MWC tar(C) does not support multi-volume backups and I can't
>seem to get GNU-tar to either. The "dump(C)" routines are not enough and don't
>allow file compression. All hints/pointers/flames would be appreciated.

Normally GNUTAR should support Multivolume backups but I just tried it on my
Interactive.
I prefer cpio to make Backups and it seems to be reasonable fast.

find /usr/local -print | cpio -ocdvB > /dev/rfva0.

It is also possible to change diskettes (720K to 1.44MB or whatever) when
you use cpio. But you have to type a lot more.

dump is one of the utilities developed in "Coherent stone age" and I never
used it or will use it.
Also: Ever tried ustar, the TAR-Link to pax ?

Joachim

Joachim Riedel                           joachim@jrix.radig.de
Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48
D-6050 Offenbach am Main