[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 18

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (03/11/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 18      Sat Mar  9 20:24:45 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   Terminal woes...
   terminal woes
   for MWC
   Future Domain SCSI driver?
   SUCCESS!!
   select() functionality for Coherent?
   re: SUCCESS!!
   Misc questions & comments
   Are you running a 6Mhz AT?
   UUCP problem
   6mhz AT/Joel Baldwin

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 20:06:24 -0500
From: jwall@hub.cs.JMU.EDU (jay wall)
To: coherent
Subject: Terminal woes...

Like Samy, I have had problems using editors on remote machines.  When I log-
in (using mterm), I tell the remote machine that I am an ansipc type terminal,
but strange things happen in the shell and editor.  I can't seem to find a
common middle-ground.  I don't want to have to declare myself something
entirely different locally (like vt-100), everytime I want to login to the
remote machine (a VAX 11/785).  Anybody else have experience with this
problem, and if so, what is your workaround solution?  Thanks for the help.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 08:25:24 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent

>From: jwall@hub.cs.JMU.EDU (jay wall)

>Like Samy, I have had problems using editors on remote machines.  When I log-
>in (using mterm), I tell the remote machine that I am an ansipc type terminal,
>but strange things happen in the shell and editor.  I can't seem to find a
>common middle-ground.  I don't want to have to declare myself something
>entirely different locally (like vt-100), everytime I want to login to the
>remote machine (a VAX 11/785).  Anybody else have experience with this
>problem, and if so, what is your workaround solution?  Thanks for the help.

Why are you declaring yourself something locally when it's the remote
declaration you care about?  Besides I thought that ansipc was a construct
invented by Mark Williams to define the console?  Leave your local definition
as ansipc and make your remote definition vt100 because that's what the
terminal program is behaving like anyway.

Gerry

Gerald Skerbitz                         University of Minnesota
612/626-5379  g-sker@vm1.spcs.umn.edu      g-sker.uminn1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:18:03 EST
From: Chet Creider <creider@csd.uwo.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: for MWC

Would MWC mind if someone either put the new version of the curses library
in the ftp site at piggy.uscb.edu or mailed it to me uuencoded? I don't
know if it sunspots or what, but I've been having terrible trouble with
my modem connections for the last couple of weeks and can't even connect
with my university system less than a mile away let alone a BBS which is
about 1000 miles away.

Many thanks,

Chet Creider <creider@csd.uwo.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 10:36:28 -0600
From: lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman)
To: coherent
Subject: Future Domain SCSI driver?

My brother has Coherent 3.1 (and the device driver
toolkit) and is running it on a 386 system.  He has
a Syquest removable hard disk controlled by a
Future Domain SCSI controller.  Has anyone already
done a device driver for this controller, or is he
on his own?

- -lar

------------------------------

Date: 08 Mar 91 16:07:53 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: SUCCESS!!

HI again,
       Good news first: I finally found what was giving panic traps on
                        my system other than a faulty memory chip...the
                        serial board had jumpers set for TWO serial
       ports 1 & 2 even though it only had one EXTERNAL connector. There
       was a 10-pin header on the card itself. I set it to disable the
       internal one, made the external COM2, made my MNP modem COM1 and
       killed the bad memory chip and installed Coherent 3.1 without
       problems. Defined COM2 as a local port and connected with a 9-pin
       null-modem cable to my laptop. That went fine! Then configured
       the modem to S001=001 and numeric result codes, no echo, follow
       carrier, etc. (I can send the exact settings out to anyone who
       wants them - Pred: yours are on the way). I then told the modem
       to save that as a default. All is fine. Works great! :)

Now for some questions:

UUCP: if my COM1 (modem) is enabled for dial-ins...what does UUCP do
      when it needs to dial-out? I know when I want to dial out all I
      do is DISABLE COM1R and then Kermit works fine...?

LOGGING OUT: I know that to drop the line or whatever I just type LOGIN
             at any prompt and that does it....I would like to type
             something like LOGOFF. Any ideas?

- -Stephane

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 14:03:31 CST
From: rosevax.rosemount.com!grante%rutgers.UUCP@spool.cs.wisc.edu (Grant B. Edwards)
To: coherent@spool.cs.wisc.edu
Cc: support@mwc.com
Subject: select() functionality for Coherent?

Does Coherent have anything analogous to the BSD select() system call?  It
allows a process to block until data can be read from any one of a user
specified set of file descriptors.

This means that a process can have three file descriptors open for
reading, and instead of constantly polling the three fd's to see if
there is data, you do a select() system call, and you get blocked
until one or more of the fd's has data to be read.

                                  Grant Edwards
Rosemount Inc, CB7                                            He who dies with
12001 Technology Drive      grante@hydro.rosemount.com        the most manuals
Eden Prairie, MN  55344     uunet!rosevax!hydro!grante        wins.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 91 21:07:43
From: therat!mike@apple.com (Mike Sherwood)
To: COHERENT@apple.com
Subject: re: SUCCESS!!

well, as for the logging out, I created files named logoff and logout which
simply contain the line "stty 0"  do a man on stty to look at the details on
the command, but the general idea is that the "0" parameter means to hang up..
now as far as the uucp goes, the modemcap entry for the modem that you are
using should give your modem the right commands for setting it up and it
should take care of the disable/enable for the com line, but you have to make
sure that the parameters for the modem are set back to what they were before
when it's over.. i myself have two modems, one in and one out, so I dont do
that swapping myself.. any of this help?

    uucp: ...!apple!therat!mike
internet: mike@therat.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 01:26:09 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: Misc questions & comments

	:::  Questions and Comments follow  :::

1) To Stephanie Doucet: You can use ^D to logout instead of "login".

2) Sometimes my system goes crazy on me (5 minutes ago).  I think it might
	have something to do with "screen", a program I run to change colors
	on the console.  I have a 386-20 with a VGA card.  The problem is
	that random characters are not echoed as I type on the console.  The
	\n character is especially prone to this kind of problem when it
	happens.  Anyway, I have to reboot when it happens to fix the problem.
	This last time, I had to reboot twice in a row for it to go away.  Has
	anyone else had this problem?  Comments from MWC?

3) Is MWC still out there?  I haven't seen a post from them in a long time.

4) I'm planning to buy a 486-33 in the not too distant future.  Is someone in
	the net.consiousness running Coherent on one of these?  I'll be getting
	a 200Mb 15ms IDE drive with that.  I hope Coh supports IDE drives.

I think it would be a good idea if someone maintained a list of all
	PC's and hard drives Coherent has been tested on with results.  I
	know MWC has something like this, but I don't know how well it's being
	maintained and I'd hate to bug them everytime I wanted to check to see
	if Coh will run on machine X with HD Y--I'm sure they've got better
	things to do with their time (like work on Coherent 386 ;)

5) Is anyone using a multiplexer with Coh?  If so, are you pleased with it?
	How many terminals does it support (10?)?  How much was it?  What is
	the vender's name, address, and number?

	Thank ya much,

	-Pred

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 91 12:00:42
From: citrus!root@csusac.ecs.csus.edu (Joel M. Baldwin)
To: coherent@csusac.ecs.csus.edu
Cc: root@csusac.ecs.csus.edu
Subject: Are you running a 6Mhz AT?

If you are running coherent on a 6Mhz AT and using uucp to transfer
more than small files, please get in touch with me.

I'm having some uucp problems and would like to compare notes with you.

ADVthaAnksNCE

Joel M. Baldwin					H ( 916 ) 383-9470
N6NPL						W    "    452-1481
uunet!csusac.ecs.csus.edu!citrus!root		Sacramento CA.		/\??/\

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 91 12:11:17
From: therat!mike@apple.com (Mike Sherwood)
To: COHERENT@apple.com
Subject: UUCP problem

I am running UUCP under coherent on my system, and for some reason, if I get
a call and it's another uucp site calling mine, it will connect fine and all,
but the next caller wont get anything - it acts like it's disabled, but it's
not.. and the next call is just fine.. anyone have any idea what would cause
something like this??  or more importantly how to fix it.. it's not a serious
problem since it will eventually be reset, but I would like to fix it. thanks.

    uucp: ...!apple!therat!mike
internet: mike@therat.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 91 13:22:12
From: therat!mike@apple.com (Mike Sherwood)
To: COHERENT@apple.com
Subject: 6mhz AT/Joel Baldwin

I'm running coherent on an ibm 286 @ 6mhz.. I have transferred files of up to
a megabyte with uucp and up to 80k or so through mail.. what kinds of problems
do you have with large files?? feel free to just e-mail me if you want to
continue this privately, the address should appear below.. I'm not sure
everyone would care about individual little problems.. maybe they would..
I have excellent crash test facilities if you want to try individual problems..

    uucp: ...!apple!therat!mike
internet: mike@therat.uucp

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 18

	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801