[comp.os.misc] Re^2:

kim@wacsvax.OZ (Kim Shearer) (03/26/90)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:

>	More or less. All resources can be allocated
>	to a job, including cpu, memory, files, disk
>	drives, modems, etc. The difference is that
>	you can tell (until the new version this
>	year perhaps) where the resource lives, but
>	you treat it locally (except for diskette
>	drives - inserting a diskette halfway across
>	a continent is a bit inconvenient 8^). One can
>	get an executable from one machine, execute
>	it on another, and have the screen/kybd i/o
>	sent to your own machine - all simple to do,
>	built in to the system. The name space isn't

 Umm, you can rcp files between machines on any unix network, and is
 there not also a remote execute command ? The point is that the OS
 should do this sort of thing IN A TRANSPERENT MANNER, ie without
 the user ever knowing about it, to be truely distributed. I think
 this is what Andy Tannenbaun is talking about, I do not know if this
 is what you meant, I may have misinterprited what you wrote.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
Kim Shearer                      |     ARPA: kim%wacsvax.uwa.oz@uunet.uu.net
Dept. of Computer Science        |     UUCP: ..!uunet!munnari!wacsvax!kim
University of Western Australia  |     ACSnet: kim@wacsvax.uwa.oz
CRAWLEY, Australia 6009          |     PHONE:  +61 9 380 3452

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (03/13/91)

>These papers are now available for anonymous ftp from ftp.diku.dk
>[129.142.96.1] in /pub/misc/amoeba-doc.tar.Z

They'll also be on math.macalstr.edu within 1/2 hour. If Minnesota is closer
to you than Denmark, try that site first. The people on the other side of the
pond will thank you.

	Pete Clark