[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 19

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (03/13/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 19      Tue Mar 12 14:24:16 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   piggy
   Type of modem, /etc/modemcap, L-devices
   Ramblings & TTYS
   uucp and otherness
   modemcap and L.devices
   All sorts of stuff...
   UUCP
   more UUCP
   com1l

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 08:05:49 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: piggy

Thanks for the dmake, Scott!
I got in at 7:30 this morning and put libcurses.a in /pub/incoming.  When
I finally got my UUCP to work (it was a combination of modemcap problems
and a missing expect word: in L.sys) I got libc310a.a.Z (I think that's what
it was called...) down.  I played with it - uncompressed and untarred it.  I
also got menu.Z and dtree.tar.Z, and I played with them and moved menu.Z
to a subdirectory.  Then I turned my machine off and went away.  When I came
back the next day, the files were gone!!! (except menu which was in a
subdirectory of /tmp)  Yes, the default place to put downloaded files, /tmp,
is also a path that is totally cleared by rc.  @#$%#$%^ was something like
what I thought.  Just a warning, change the location of downloaded files
from UUCP in Permissions.
Anyway, I did it again, dtree, but I didn't get libcurses again, so the
text file that came in the compressed tar got lost.  It was about 5 lines
and told what the changes to libcureses were.
dtree.tar.Z, libcurses.a and libcurses.a.Z (Compressed on my
PC at work with COMP43B.) are all in /pub/incoming.  If anyone has trouble
getting them or using them, let me know.

Gerry

Gerald Skerbitz                         University of Minnesota
612/626-5379  g-sker@vm1.spcs.umn.edu      g-sker.uminn1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 10:07:37 -0500
From: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Frank Chen)
To: coherent
Subject: Type of modem, /etc/modemcap, L-devices

Anyone know which file contains the type of modem used in your system.
When I install the system, I specified that 2400 bps Hayes compatible
modem. But I can not find that entry. All the manuals I read(Coherent,
Ultrix manual, Unix system admin. handbook) use the uucp to manage
the modems. So the answer should be that 'L-devices' contains the type
of modem I use. But, first, the file /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices is not
been modified and does not contains the type I specified. Second, what
if I don't want to setup uucp, I just want to use kermit or other
communication programs for remote access?
Thanks!

- -Frank Chen

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 91 09:43:58 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: Ramblings & TTYS

Pred,
   The entry I use in my TTYS file looks like what follows:

1lcom1r

This is for an internal modem on com1 that is enabled for logins.
You were saying that your drive goes crazy? Are you certain you
didn't set up your COM port to be polled? Mine isn't set up to be
polled.

Other ramblings for questions:

1. The question about the LOGOUT, LOGOFF, etc command still stands.
   A file named LOGOFF and containing the line STTY 0 works fine
   when CHMOD +x LOGOFF is done to it. That command hangs up a phone
   line. It doesn't work on a locally attached terminal through a
   null modem. With that KILL -9 0 works but every 4th or 5th time
   the new login prompt comes back at about 30 baud instead of 9600
   baud and the line gets locked up. The only thing that resets it is
   to get online by dial-in or on the console and disabling and then
   re-enabling the line. Any other suggestions for that? Whats causing
   the sudden drop in speed?  Now that I got it working for dial-ins
   thats ok.

2. UUCP: I followed the release notes for 3.1 yesterday. Everything went
   fine. The modem dialed out. MWC answered. But didn't give anything
   else. Finally UUCP gave up, hung up, and re-enabled my COM port.
   Question: Does UUCP change any modem settings when dialing? Dial-ins
             were fuzzy after that try out. Also the message got was
             'UNABLE TO READ FIRST MESSAGE' What does that mean? I tried
             manually dialing the number and couldn't get any sort of
             prompt from the MWCBBS. Was it just me?

3. Dialing in is a pain. How do you get the delete to work? Backspace?
   I seem to have found <ctrl-H> in dial-ins but on locally attached
   terminal it doesn't work...it deletes but the characted gets sent
   anyhow. Any help?

4. A good way to kill your session? Try running full-screen apps from
   dial-ins and locally attached terms. Also <ctrl-D> from root account
   on a local term. *BOOM* :)

Laterness...

- -Stephane

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 11:05:42 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: uucp and otherness

1. UUCP
   UUCP appears to read /etc/modemcap to determine what to do with the modem
   BEFORE it does anything else.  It initializes and sets the baud rate and
   dials.  I guess the dial is based on the entry in L.sys.  Before it
   dials, it disables the entry in L-Devices under remote (I think it's the
   second field) and enables the entry under line. That's how you can use the
   same line to dial out and dial in.  The LAST field in L-Devices is the
   modem type, and yes you will have to mess with this.  It might be easier
   to use uuinstall, but some people have had trouble with that one.  It
   looks nicer though.

   I had some trouble that gave me "incorrect second message" which I traced to
   a missing "word:"  expect field in L.sys so I'd guess that "unable to read
   first message" means it didn't even get the login: prompt.  When I dialed
   into MWCBBS directly I got three prompts.   a login: prompt, a password:
   prompt, and a BBS Password: prompt.  The first answer should be nuucp, the
   second public, and the third your coherent serial number.

2. More UUCP
    Could someone give me the information needed to make UUCP work as
    a dial-in function?  Do you specify UUCP as the shell in /etc/passwd?
    "or what?"  The documentation only talks about dialing out, but someone
    on the board implied that they used it for others to dial in.

3. Kermit
    I use Kermit to dial out regularily, and it dials and connects fine.  (not
    Coherent's kermit, the one on piggy and mwcbbs).  Can someone tell me where
    I should look in the source code to make my hayes modem dial tone instead
    of pulse? You don't need to set anything up with UUCP to make Kermit work.

4. Dialing in and connecting.
    I'm not sure what you're dialing in and connecting with, but when I dial
    in using Kermit on a PC with the keyboard configured as a VT100, the
    backspace keys work fine.  I have to remember to set TERM-vt100, and
    full-screen apps (elvis) work just fine too.  I have a terminal attached
    to the system too.  It's a tvi925 clone, and if I forget to set TERM-tvi925
    when I go into elvis, it makes the terminal freak and go local.  Then
    when I get it back to online it takes a bit of fiddling to get out of
    the application and back on track.

5. SCREEN
    I've asked this before, and gotten no answer.  Has ANYONE out there
    compiled and run the Screen program on piggy.  If not, why is it there?
    If so, do you have any hints about compiling it and getting it to run?
    It wants a library called NLIST.A if I remember right......??????

enough rambling
more later.

Date: 11 Mar 91 12:13:23 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: modemcap and L.devices

Frank,
    The file modemcap will contain a definition of some sample modems.
The Hayes 1200 is one of those. You can easily modify the entry for
it with an editor. But I never touched it myself and Kermit always
ran fine. It's just when UUCP tried to access the modem it told me
that the baud-rate was wrong. One look at modemcap told me that the
hayes entry was for 1200. I changed that and UUCP dialed out fine.

Good luck,
    Stephane

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 21:43:47 -0500
From: jwall@hub.cs.JMU.EDU (jay wall)
To: coherent
Subject: All sorts of stuff...

Greetings all!  To those of you who have had problems with screen; I don't
understand.  I use it occassionally, and it seems to work fine.
To Mike Sherwood:  Are you sure the uucico process is exiting before you get
another remote login?  If not, this may be the problem of only accepting
every other remote login.  To g-sker and anyone else:  When I login to my
university's VAX 11/785; when I tell it that I'm a VT-100, how do I know
what the keyboard mappings are for my IBM (clone) enhanced keyboard?  If
anyone has this info, can you please enlighten me.  Thank you.
And finally to grante@hydro.etc...: Have you found anything out about the
porting of MGR?  If you do, I am quite interested.  Listen people (this is
to everybody), I do a lot of image processing work, and would like to use
Coherent as my primary OS (when the 386 version comes out), but as far as
the graphics capability goes, I can't.  I would like to begin embarking on
developing graphics capability for Coherent.  Anyone who is interested in
getting together and writing software, let me know.  My first project will
be (if all goes well...) writing a VGA driver (both generic, and enhanced
for my ATI VGAWonder).  If y'all interested, you know where to find me...
Take care!

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 91 21:21:25 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: UUCP

UUCP...one word: sh*t. I called MWC and asked for help since when I dial
that bloody number all I get is alot of nothing. Sure...a modem picks
up and answers but after that no amount of <ctrl-C>'s, <ENTER>'s, or
any combination of anything will get me some sort of prompt. But the
dial-out feature of the modem works fine....how else would I send this?
I'm confused....am I doing anything right? I figured since UUCP was not
able to connect then I should try interactively...nothing.

What confuses me tho is the UUCP message: Dial failed, ACU Problem.
                                          Modem say 0^M10^M^^^^

I know 0 is a result code for OK but what about 10? Interactive and
UUCICO in debug mode don't bring me back that strange stuff?

- -Stephane

P.S. Someone was telling me about a modem that got its lights in a bundle
      and the hard drive went wacko when he enabled the line? Well that
      is because your modem is in ECHO mode. Set it off with AT E0

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 09:31:12 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: more UUCP

Stephane,
Yes, I got the ACU Problem message a LOT!.  If UUCP is reading modemcap,
and I'm given to believe it does, it tells the system to wait for CONNECT -
(Hayes) - that means you can't have numeric result codes.  I agree with
your profane opinion of the UUCP setup.  It really shouldn't be so hard,
and you SHOULD be able to do a manual dial and punch the keys and watch it
happen - it's very frustrating.  I will say though, that when I did a manual
dial I got the Login and other prompts.  Does anyone else NOT get any prompt
on a manual dial to MWCBBS?  Maybe there's a speed problem or a modem
compatibility problem?  Good luck and keep us posted.

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 15:13:03 EST
From: quairoli@cs.widener.edu (Patrick Quairoli)
To: coherent (coherent list)
Subject: com1l

	We have just installed coherent on a 286 dtk pc.  We haven't had any
major problems except with the com1l driver.  We were able to connect a vt100
to com1 one night then we connected the pc to a sun sparc.  After this we have
not been able to get com1l to work.

	We have reconnected the vt100 but we can't get a login prompt.  The
ttys and the buad rate are fine.... does anyone have any ideas?

pq					| Why use vi when there's Emacs?
patrick quairoli 			| Why use AT&T when there's gnu?
quairoli@cs.widener.edu			| ORQ-"Experience to Extremes"

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 19

	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801