[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 21

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (03/16/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 21      Fri Mar 15 09:50:28 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   MWC via FTP?
   Chris Peoples' sneaker net.
   Questions
   UUCP finale...
   congrats
   Being polled for UUCP; (was Re: Congrats)
   Re: UUCP revisited
   line noise for dial-ins
   /usr/lib/uucp
   Kermit transfer

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 10:22:52 CST
From: cjp5921@geopsun.tamu.edu (Chris Peoples)
To: coherent
Subject: MWC via FTP?

Hello folks,

I got a problem, (as if no one else doesn't).

Is it possible to use the Mark Williams BBS (mcwbbs) via internet FTP?

I run coherent on my AST Premium/286, and it runs fine, but I am not
connected to the world (at least not easily).  I have down loaded some
things from piggy.ucsb.edu.  The way I do it is to login using my sun
account and FTP the files as binary.  Next I unzip then on the sun and
them down load the files via kermit to an IBM PC/AT we have running
here on a terminal server via kermit.  Finally I sneaker net the files to
my machine where I use the coherent dos utility to bring the files in to
the system.  I know this is rather round about, but it does work with
few problems (mostly remembering to use binary file transfers, sometimes
I screw up and xfer a file in ascii).  Occassionaly, something won't
work at all and I just keep trying to get to work.

If it is not possible to connect via internet, could someone at Mark
Williams send me the files if I sent some disks and postage along?

Many thanks for the help, as always.

Chris Peoples, cjp5921@geopsun.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 13:59:06 EST
From: Peter Hoffman <peter@ocean.geol.scarolina.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: Chris Peoples' sneaker net.

> Is it possible to use the Mark Williams BBS (mcwbbs) via internet
> FTP?

MWC told me that they are not reachable via Internet.

> I have down loaded some things from piggy.ucsb.edu.  The way I do it
> is to login using my sun account and FTP the files as binary.  Next I
> unzip then on the sun and them down load the files via kermit to an
> IBM PC/AT we have running here on a terminal server via kermit.
> Finally I sneaker net the files to my machine where I use the coherent
> dos utility to bring the files in to the system.

This is the way I TRY to do it!  At 2400 baud it just takes too long
to dl files.  I do have an advantage in that I don't have to kermit
them over because the DOS machine is on the 'net too but, even prior to
that development, sneaker-net was preferable.

The only (dumb) suggestion that I have is: if the AT is on a null
modem cable, is it at 19.2K baud?  That can help.

Now a question:
would it be possible to mirror the MWC BBS at an Internet site; or at
least the files that would not require a COHERENT license (if there
are any such files)?

peter.

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 14 Mar 91 13:16:10 -0500
From: Sam Shim <shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu>
To: coherent
Cc: shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu
Subject: Questions

   I have several questions regarding Coherent that I hope someone can answer.

1.  When setting up a modem with flow control, does Coherent use software,
hardware, or both kinds of flow control?

2.  Coherent won't read my extended DOS partitions.  I get a error that says
something like "Unknown media descriptor 0xF6".  Is there a way around this?

3.  Has anyone port tcsh to Coherent, or is it possible to?

4.  I'm totally confused about setting up a ramdisk.  What files do I need to
edit and what do I need to insert in them so that when Coherent boots up,
I'll have a 1 Meg ram disk?

5.  I've downloaded a tar file for Coherent, but I don't know how to extract
the files from the tar correctly.  How do you use tar to extract a file?
The file has been transferred to Coherent correctly.

Thanks for your help!  As you can see, I really need it!

- -Sam-

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 91 14:51:27 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: UUCP finale...

Well...
    good news. The box runs fine. :) Yes UUCP finally works and the
culprit was my modem...it was set for MNP/V.42 and the negotiation
process it was using with the MWC board was throwing sand in the
face of UUCP. Now if someone would have thought of that! :)) Everything
is fine...I am now F1!SDOUCET on mwcbbs. :) Thanks for all the help...
I'm still tackling terminal problems...microEmacs bombs when I try to
use it from dial-up....and I hate ed...it's almost as bad as edlin. :)

Also....how to keep users out of system files and looking at stuff
they shouldn't? How would I go about adding another hard drive to the
system....I have another MFM 20Mb hanging around.

- -Stephane

P.S. SOmeone send me mail on mwcbbs to test? :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 14:50:31 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: congrats

 Congratulations Stephane!!

 I got a hold of Elle from piggy, and it looks pretty clean.  Maybe it
 would do better than the supplied MicroEmacs over a dial up line.
 It's a LOT like emacs, so it wouldn't be very painful to switch.
 ========================
 I'm still searching for the answer to this question (maybe I'm asking
 it wrong.)

 I want to set my Coherent system up so someone else can call in and pick
 up their mail and get files with UUCP.  I have my system set up so someone
 can call in okay, and I understand all the files.  What I want to know, is
 how do I make the system only recognize UUCP access for a given login?  Like
 do I put UUCICO as the login shell in /etc/passwd? or what?  HELP !!!!????

 ANY help would be appreciated....or even a place to look in the manual?
 SOMETHING.

 Gerry.

Gerald Skerbitz                         University of Minnesota
612/626-5379  g-sker@vm1.spcs.umn.edu      g-sker.uminn1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 16:18 EST
From: 16448591@VUVAXCOM.BitNet
To: coherent
Subject: Being polled for UUCP; (was Re: Congrats)

> I'm still searching for the answer to this question (maybe I'm asking
> it wrong.)
>
> I want to set my Coherent system up so someone else can call in and pick
> up their mail and get files with UUCP.  I have my system set up so someone
> can call in okay, and I understand all the files.  What I want to know, is
> how do I make the system only recognize UUCP access for a given login?  Like
> do I put UUCICO as the login shell in /etc/passwd? or what?  HELP !!!!????
>
> ANY help would be appreciated....or even a place to look in the manual?
> SOMETHING.
>
> Gerry.

I have not actually tried this on Coherent, but it works with many flavors
of *nix.

Basically, you are correct in that you have to put uucico as the login
shell for the account in /etc/passwd.  I think you also have to make the
default user directory something like /usr/spool/uucppublic.  Here's a
sample entry for a system "Uexample" in the /etc/passwd file:

Uexample:@@@@@@@@@@@@@:10:12:Example:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

where @@@@@@@@@@@@@@ is the password stuff, 10 & 12 are the user & group
numbers, Example is the "title" , /usr/spool/uucppublic is the home directory,
and /usr/lib/uucp/uucico is the login shell for the account.

This should work, but as I said, I have never tried it on Coherent.  If not,
it is, at least, a first step.
- -----
Mark Schaffer                          16448591@vuvaxcom.bitnet
Chem. Eng. Department                  cattie!marks@hutch.Rabbit.Com --\
Class of 1992                          marks@cattie.UUCP (temporarily dead)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 07:41:33 -0500
From: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Frank Chen)
To: coherent, root%trystro.uucp@think.com
Cc: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov
Subject: Re: UUCP revisited

>From fcsys!trystro!root@Think.COM Tue Mar 12 19:37:46 1991
>Subject: Re: UUCP revisited
>
>-|
>-|UUCP, :)
>-|    Well...for all to know. My box accepts logins just fine. I dial in
>-|to it all the time. So far from what I can gather...that end of things
>-|is fine. Not for all the world would I modify it. Yes...the port is
>-|enabled fine. UUCP does a good job of disabling getty to dial out and
>-|then re-enabling afterwards. Thats good. :)
>-|   One thing the uulog says is that ACU Problem...dialed failed message
>-|even though I heard it connect. Then uulog shows that the modem
>-|said ^M0^M^M10 which is basically numeric result codes for OK and
>-|CONNECT 2400. I was talking to MWC and was told that UUCP should NOT
>-|hear any messages from your modem. Just from the other end. If it
>-|does see stuff from your modem it gets confused (obviously).  I am going
>-|home to see if I can set the modem to Q1 instead of Q0 (results off) and
>-|try again. If that doesn't work....who knows? Also the tech did not know
>-|why UUCP went and read the MODEMCAP file. Be careful of that file. That
>-|is basically where all my problems with UUCP have been so far: bad baud
>-|rate, resetting the modem back to verbose instead of numeric, etc.
>
>I've had my system running with dial-ins about a month now, and poll
>about 3 uucp sites regularly (total about 30 times a day)
>
>UUCP does read the modemcap file.  The stock kermit doesn't.  I don't
>know if ckermit does, 'cause I don't use it much.
>
>The settings I use for my clone 2400bps internal modem are a modified
>version of the avatex entry in /etc/modemcap.  This was the closest
>thing to what I needed from my modem, and here are the settings I use:
>
>av|avatex|Avatex 2400|Hayes Smartmodem clone:\
>	:as:at=+++:ad#6:bd#2400:bl#1200:cs=AT:ce\r:co=CONNECT 2400:\
>	:cl=CONNECT 2400:di:ds=DT:de=is:is=ATQ0 V1 M1 E1\r:id#2:\
>	:hc:hu=H0 V0 E0 Q1 M1 S0=1:tt:
>
>The real changes I made were to the is (initialization string)
>and hu (hangup string) entries:
>
>The intent here was to initialize so that the modem does echo
>characters that UUCP sends, and echoes OK and BUSY etc, to UUCP
>via the Q0 V1 settings (generate result codes, verbose).
>
>The hangup string puts it back to 'quiet' mode, (no echo, no
>response codes, no verbosity) so that getty doesn't get confused
>and begin 'chatting' with the modem if the port is enabled for
>logins.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Rick

This is the most detail explanation about how modem works for dialin/out.
Thanks! Rick.
If I guess right, Rick keep his machine on all the time is the reason why
he doesnot experience the difficulty other people have. Of course, his
knowledge about modem/uucp help him to set up the machine correctly the
first time. For me, I turn on/off the machine almost everyday and also
switch using modem between Coherent and MSDOS. From my experience, the
difficult part is to setup the modem to a initial state when you turn
on the machine. Next problem is the switching between dial-in and dial-out.
1. Initial setup:
	Every time you turn on your PC/modem or switch from DOS to Coherent
	(If you have use modem in DOS), you need to make sure the modem is
	been initialize to the dial-in state.
	Some modem will keep all the parameters even you turn off the power.
	Some modem keep part of the parameters and some just go back to
	the default state. For most people using modem in DOS, the state is
	always for dial-out.(except thos who maintain the bulletin board.)
	***WARNING*** I don't think /usr/bin/modeminit works reliably.
	My /usr/bin/modeminit look like this:
: /usr/bin/modeminit 9/7/90
: Initialize modem, typically called from /etc/rc.
: This example initializes a Hayes-compatible modem for echo off, autoanswer.
: The sleep is required to keep the desired baud rate for the cat command.
/etc/disable com2r
DEV=/dev/com2l
BAUD=2400
sleep 2 >$DEV
stty $BAUD >$DEV
echo "AT E0 Q1 V0 S0=5 S7=60" > $DEV
sleep 2
/etc/enable com2r
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The reason why I use S0=5 instead of S0=1 is that I use the same
      phone line for voice/modem/fax. We always pick up the phone before
      5th rings. Fax can either pickup after 6 rings or set to pickup at
      1st ring.
	And my /etc/ttys is as follow:
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1lPconsole
1rIcom1l
1r3com2r
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
com1 is an internal 1200 bps hayes compatible modem setup for dial-out only.
com2 is an external 2400 bps hayes compatible modem setup for dial-in/out.
Original script of modeminit use 'DEV=/dev/modem' which in my case linked to
/dev/com2r(I think that this is done during the installation when you were
asked which port is connected to the modem). Another difference is of using:
cat > $DEV <<\!
AT E0 Q1 V0 S0=1
!
And there is &(background) on the command 'sleep 2 > $DEV'('sleep 2 > $DEV&')

	1. After change to DEV=/dev/com2l and change the line
	   ': /usr/bin/modeminit' to '/usr/bin/modeminit' in /etc/rc
	   The modem answers. However, there are no prompt for modem port
	   or console. Later I find out that during the execution of /etc/init
	   there is a core dump when reading the file /etc/ttys.
	   Take out '/usr/bin/modeminit' in /etc/rc, everything is O.K.
	   running modeminit either in root or sigle user mode does not
	   create core dump. But the modem won't even answer.
	2. putting ': '(I assume this is the way to comment on the script)
	   in front of 'cat > $DEV <<\!', 'AT E0 Q1 V0 S0=1','!' and put in
	   a line 'echo "AT E0 Q1 V0 S0=5 S7=60" > $DEV' *SOMETIMES* (yes,
	   not always) give me an error message "illegal redirection".
	3. type the commands in /usr/bin/modeminit one by one does not
	   work all the time.
	4. Finally, I 'disable com2r' and use 'kermit cbl 2400 /dev/com2l'
	   To put in 'AT E0 Q1 V0 S0=5 S7=60' the modem answers and I can
	   login.
Question: During the experiment I have several different process states shown
	  below. Can some one tell me what those mean?
	  $ ps -ax
          TTY       PID
	  -------     1  /etc/init
	  -------    55  /etc/update
	  -------    56  /etc/cron
	  console    61  -sh
	  com2r     231  -r
	  console   232  ps -ax
	  $
	  there are 5 different status about the com2r
	  a. com2r     231  -r
	  b. com2r     231  -r 3
	  c. com2r     231  -r I
	  d. com2r     231  -sh
	  e. -------   231  -com2r

	State (d) is after you dial-in successfully. State (b) is the state
	that works for dial-in. And state (a) is when echo is not turn off
	in the modem(XMT,RCV keep blinking, PID keep increasing)
	What '-r 3','-r I',and '-com2r' mean?
Sumary: 1. use '/etc/disable' comamnd to turn off dial-in(kill the process
		for login thru that port)
	2. use 'kermit' to set the modem parameter for dial-in. i.e. turn
		off echo,...(E0 Q1 V0 S0=1)
	3. use 'ps -ax' to check the process state.
Request: Can everyone send me the status of you modem port when it
	 work/doesn't work. So that I can make sure that '-r 3' is the
	 corrent state.(BTW, I just notice that the modem pick up at the 3rd
	 rings and 'S0=3' is the value I type in interactively. So maybe
	 the value 3 is the number of rings for modem to pick up the phone.)
Puzzle: Why MWC did not tell us all about this in the mamual of the release
	note? I know about modeminit,enable,disable all thru this mailing
	list. What is the comment character for the script?

2.Switch between dial-in/out:
	Following Rick's message. But consult you modem manual for hu,is.
	In most case, it will work.
	I am not sure that kermit does not read modemcap.
	If kermit does not read modemcap(or course, first need to know
	what type of modem you have. For uucp it is thru
	/usr/lib/uucp/L-devices.) Then you have to initialize the modem
	manually for dial-in and dial-out.

Thanks for all to read this long message. Maybe I haven't done my homework
(RTFM). Please give me you process state(before someone using that port)
to me. I will summarize.

- -Frank Chen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 07:52:54 -0500
From: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Frank Chen)
To: coherent
Cc: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov
Subject: line noise for dial-ins

After I can dial-in to my Coherent box at home. Some line noise(how to
fix this? I have no problem using DOS with all other thing equal) change
my prompt from "$" to ">" any commands I type won't give me anything.
However, <Ctrl-D> can log me out so that I can login again. Following is
a sample:
Coherent login: chench
Password:
Remote access password:
$ cd /usr/lib/uucp
$ ls
L-devices
L.sys
Permissions
uucico
uumkdir
uumvlog
uurmlock
uutouch
uuxqt
$ f*vwte1
            uwwziokwty{+{~r
sf*~r{~y{~7m{_{q{w
                                               {nbw
zwx5[/~v~r{oxD~~*
> lo
> logout
> asdf
> ps -ax
> who
> login
>
> ls
>                      <-------- this is the place I type in <Ctrl-D>
Coherent login:

- -Frank Chen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1991 08:57 EST
From: John B Harlan <IJBH200@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU>
To: Coherent
Subject: /usr/lib/uucp

     Could someone please send me a listing of the ls -l settings for all
files in the directory, /usr/lib/uucp ?  I'm having one hell of a time
with incoming mail getting shunted off into /usr/spool/uucp/uunet and
/usr/spool/uucp/mwcbbs instead of being routed into the appropriate
/usr/spool/mail/(userid) file.  The problem appears *not* to be in the
Permissions file, since even leaving Read and Write directories wide open
doesn't alter anything.  I suspect the difficulty may be in the modes/
permissions/owner/group settings for something in /usr/lib/uucp/* --
possibly uuxqt or uux?  That's why I'm interested in knowing what the
default settings for all those files are, and also what settings for those
files are working for other folks.  With thanks in advance for any clues,

                                                                   John

 +                                                                      +
   John                           B                              Harlan

   125 West Marion Street    529     IJBH200@IndyVAX               CREN
   South Bend Indiana 46601 1096     IJBH200@IndyVAX.IUPUI.Edu Internet
   U             S             A     US Defense Data Network user JBH31
 +                                                                      +

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 08:49:31 -0500
From: chench@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Frank Chen)
To: coherent
Subject: Kermit transfer

I use KERMIT-32 in VAX/VMS to connect to my Coherent box. After establishing
the connection, I run the following commands to transfer a file 'man.help'
from Coherent to VAX.
$ cd /usr/man
$ kermit sb 2400 man.help
Then I escape to KERMIT-32 on VAX
KERMIT-32> RECEIVE
According to the KERMIT-32 manual, using this command, the filename is
provided by the sending kermit. But what I get is a file called MAN.HEL
Does that mean that the kermit in Coherent only allows 3 characters for
extension(which is for DOS)? VMS can accept 31 characters for the
extension(they call it TYPE)

- -Frank Chen

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 21

	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801