[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 23

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (April Glaspie) (03/23/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 23      Fri Mar 22 10:42:33 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   Coherent Masterboot Problems
   CoMB 1.29
   Coherent Masterboot Problems/Floppy Names
   Masterboot Problem Resolved
   pr under clam
   Coherent Installation
   Coherent Master Boot
   IDE drives with AMI Bios drive type 47
   Re:  Coherent Master Boot
   ZOO - where!!?!

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:53:28 EST
From: sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards)
To: coherent%cs.wisc.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Coherent Masterboot Problems

	Greetings.  I just received my Zeos 386 SX Notebook machine
yesterday, and I am having some minor problems with getting Coherent
3.1.0 to co-exist with MS-DOS.

	The machine came with a 615 cylinder 20 Mbyte (Conner IDE)
pre-formatted drive that had a single, full disk MS-DOS 4.01
partition.  I installed Coherent (no problems) and set the partitions
at installation time at:

	part	active	type	start (cyl)	length (cyl)
	----	------	----	-----------	------------
	0	no	msdos	0		100
	1	yes	coher.	100		514
	2	---	none	0		0
	3	---	none	0		0

	Coherent boots just fine from the hard drive without operator
intervention.  The Coherent _dos_ command seems to work okay.  MS-DOS
can be booted from the 9 cm floppy and works okay with the MS-DOS
partition.  The problem is trying to boot MS-DOS from the hard drive
by typing the partion number at boot time.  I've tried sereral times
with different numbers, and there is either no effect (Coherent boots)
or the machine hangs.

	So, does the masterboot work or not?  I have heard of some
problems with incompatabilities with MS-DOS 4.01, but I assume that
these have to do with extended partitions and large (> 32 Mbyte)
partition sizes.  I have also heard that the MS-DOS fdisk should be
used instead of the Coherent version, but this seems problematical at
best.  Any ideas?

      == Steven J. Edwards           Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
      == (508) 294-3484              300 Concord Road         MS 820A ==
      == sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com     Billerica, MA 01821          USA ==
"That Government which Governs the Least, Governs Best." -- Thomas Jefferson

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 91 21:21:26
From: taurus!jwall@hub.cs.JMU.EDU (John O. Wall III)
To: cs.wisc.edu!jmucshu!coherent
Subject: CoMB 1.29

Could somebody put a copy of CoMB 1.29 on piggy?  I have 1.27 which does some
strange things, and would like to upgrade.  I also don't want to skyrocket my
phonebill by calling MWC all of the time.  It's high enough as it is.  My
university just got a DECSystem 5100 today.  It is going to replace our VAX
11/785.  The damn thing is more compact than my 386SX!!!  It has 18M RAM, and
a 1G HD!  It's small enough to carry home... :-)

+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| John O. Wall III (Jay Wall)  |   Internet: jwall@hub.cs.jmu.edu        |
| James Madison University     |   UUCP:     ...!mwc!taurus!jwall        |
| Dept. of Math & Comp. Sci.   |   -or-      ...!jmucshub!taurus!jwall   |
| Harrisonburg, VA  22807      |                                         |
+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 08:36:29 EST
From: sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards)
To: evan@rsw.rsw.com
Cc: coherent%cs.wisc.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject:  Coherent Masterboot Problems/Floppy Names

	Yes; I use the term 9 cm floppy for what most in the United
States call a 3 1/2 inch [micro]floppy.  This is the name used by the
Japanese designers.  I understand that most Japanese men wear shirts
with 10 cm wide pockets and that this was one of the design criteria.

	I also refer to the 5 1/4 inch floppy as a 13 cm floppy,
although I don't believe that this originated from outside the United
States.  Probably a moot point because we won't be seeing many new
machines that use the outdated media.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 08:46:33 EST
From: sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards)
To: coherent%cs.wisc.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Masterboot Problem Resolved

	I managed to solve my Coherent masterboot problem.  I have kept my
earlier partition setup at:

	part	active	type
	----	------	----
	0	no	ms-dos
	1	yes	coherent
	2	no	none
	3	no	none

and reinstalled ms-dos after using the ms-dos format command (run from
an ms-dos boot floppy) to reformat the first partition (part. 0).  The
ms-dos format does not affact the other partitions that were defined
with Coherent's fdisk.  After the format, I ran another ms-dos format
with the /s option to transfer the system files and to write a boot
track in the ms-dos partition.  Finally, I copied all of the rest of
the ms-dos files by hand instead of using the supplied Microsoft
"Install" program.

	I believe that the numerous earlier problems were caused by
the Install program (it had failed numerous times); it does not appear
to be designed to install well to a partitioned system.  It also has a
big problem that it requires a scratch disk which MUST be a 720 K
floppy and NOT a 1.44 M floppy.  Of course, there is no check or
diagnostic for this; just an undiagnosed failure.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 12:48:27 EST
From: Chet Creider <creider@csd.uwo.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: pr under clam

Has anyone noticed trouble pring or catting to /dev/lp under clam?
I've finally localized my problem (which I previously thought had
something to do with ownerships since I could pr as root)? Solutions?

Chet <creider@csd.uwo.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 09:00:00 PST
From: overlord@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Kloubek)
To: coherent
Subject: Coherent Installation

I am attempting to install Coherent v3.1.0 onto a 286 with an AMI BIOS,
and an Fujitsu IDE 135MB hard drive.

I have no problems with the beginning of the installation; the hard drive
partitions, mkfs's, and copies the files from the first disk with no
problems whatsoever.

The first problem is that it maintains that the drive parameters are set
wrong; (I've got them set to type 47; 969/16/17), and each time I run the
first disk through, it tells me that the drive is configured for 0 MB.
At which point I gleefully re-enter the proper numbers..

After it's finished eating the first disk, I'm told to remove it and
press return to reboot.  Which I do so.

After the initial machine checks, the computer attempts to boot from the
hard drive (whether or not with the MW master boot record makes no
difference); I am presented with a '?' prompt.

I've tried all the suggestions made, I've typed all the partition's
numbers; 'coherent', 'Coherent', 'begin', and still no luck.

help!?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 12:45:11 CST
From: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: coherent
Subject: Coherent Master Boot

I saw the question, but no answer.  Can someone tell us how to
remove the master boot from a coherent disk?

thanks,
gerry

Gerald Skerbitz                         University of Minnesota
612/626-5379  g-sker@vm1.spcs.umn.edu      g-sker.uminn1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 21:11:07 -0500
From: david baldwin <baldwin@xanth.cs.odu.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: IDE drives with AMI Bios drive type 47

overload@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca tells a similar tail to the one that I
went through in January. Mark Williams supplied a patch that did the
trick for me. Since I have not seen mention on the group about the
fix I am enclosing it as I received it. If it has been seen forgive
me the wasted bandwidth.

- ------ Begin enclosed file
>From hal@mwc.uucp Sat Jan 19 03:06:45 1991
To: uunet!xanth.cs.odu.edu!baldwin@uunet.UU.NET

COHERENT Ver 3.1.0    AMI/Drive Type 47 Fix      January 18, 1991

Installing with Drive Type 47.

The following  note is intended  as an aid for  customers who are
installing COHERENT  Version 3.1.0 on  a system with  an AMI BIOS
and drive type 47, the so-called "user defined" drive type.  This
note describes  additional steps which  should allow installation
to proceed,  should the standard  COHERENT installation procedure
fail with the above configuration.

The following steps assume you have noted the parameters for your
hard drive:   number of heads, cylinders,  and sectors per track,
write   precompensation  cylinder.    Most  IDE   drives  support
"translation" modes  in which they operate  with parameters other
than their true  physical configuration; unfortunately, emulation
of translation-mode drive parameters is frequently only partially
successful.  Therefore, if at all possible, use the actual physi-
cal  parameters for  the drive  -  these may  be listed  with the
manufacturer's  documentation,  or  you  may  need  to  call  the
manufacturer of your drive to find out these numbers.

1.   Follow  the   standard  installation  procedure   using  the
     COHERENT boot  diskette.  After  setting the time  and date,
     you  will be  shown a  set of drive  parameters and  will be
     asked if  they are correct.   Whether or not  the parameters
     displayed are  correct, respond  by typing "n"  and pressing
     the Enter  key.  Then enter  the parameters for  your drive.
     If you don't know what number to enter for the control byte,
     use  "0"; if  you don't  know  what to  enter for  the write
     precompensation cylinder, use "65535".
     If fdisk  fails because  of a  write error to  /dev/at0x, or
     gets stuck prompting you repeatedly about inconsistencies in
     the partition table, see Note 1.
     If fdisk or a subsequent installation step fails with "Track
     Flagged Bad" or "Watchdog Timeout" errors, or appears to get
     stuck at some point, see Note 2.
2.   Make a note of the name of the partition you have designated
     as  the root  of  your COHERENT  file  system (for  example,
     "/dev/at0b") - you will need this name below.
3.   Complete the standard installation procedure for disk 1.  At
     the end  of this step,  you will be  asked to remove  disk 1
     from your "A:" drive  and press Enter, to allow the computer
     to reboot from the hard  drive.  If you are prompted for the
     next disk  from the installation set, you  should be able to
     complete the standard installation procedure, and may ignore
     the rest of this note;  if not, continue following the steps
     in this memo.
4.   Again place  disk 1 from  the installation set  in your "A:"
     drive and  reset your  computer (Ctrl-Alt-Del is  NOT suffi-
     cient! - you must press  the reset button or turn power off,
     wait 30 seconds, and turn power back on).
5.   At the prompt
          AT boot
          ?
     type "begin" and press Enter.
6.   After a few moments, the introductory screen will appear:
               THE COHERENT SYSTEM
          Hit <enter> to continue...
     Press Ctrl-C.  You will see
          Aborted...
          The COHERENT system installation failed,...
          #
7.   At the "#" prompt, type "cd" and press Enter.
8.   Type  "fdisk -c"  and press  Enter.  After  the introductory
     screen, fdisk will  display drive parameters and ask if they
     are correct.   Once again, whether or  not the values appear
     correct, respond  in the negative and  enter the same values
     you used  above in  step 1.   Quit fdisk without  making any
     changes to the partition table.
9.   If your  COHERENT root  partition is "/dev/at0b",  then type
     "mount /dev/at0b  /mnt" and press Enter; if  you are using a
     different partition as the COHERENT root, then use that par-
     tition name in the mount command rather than "/dev/at0b".
10.  Type "cd /mnt/conf" and press Enter.
11.  If your  COHERENT root  partition is "/dev/at0b",  then type
     "dd if=boot of=/dev/at0b"  and press Enter; if you are using
     a different  partition as the  COHERENT root, then  use that
     partition name  in the  dd command rather  than "/dev/at0b".
     You should see:
          1+0 records in
          1+0 records out
          #
12.  Type "sync"  and press Enter, wait for  a "#" prompt, remove
     the diskette from  your "A:" drive, and reset your computer.
     You should  now be  able to  continue with the  standard in-
     stallation steps for disks 2, 3, and 4.

Note 1.
If fdisk  fails because  of a write  error to /dev/at0x,  or gets
stuck prompting you  repeatedly about inconsistencies in the par-
tition table,  you need to  reformat your master  boot block.  Be
sure you have backup copies of everything on your hard drive.  If
you have  any DOS  partitions on your  hard drive, make  sure you
know their  cylinder ranges so you can  recreate them;  if neces-
sary, run  DOS "fdisk"  so you  can review these  settings.  Then
reboot your computer and  use the "DIAGNOSTICS" option in the AMI
BIOS screen  (obtained by  pressing DEL during  startup).  Format
cylinder 0  of the  hard drive.   If you are  using any  DOS par-
titions, run DOS "fdisk" to recreate them.  Now go back to step 1
in this note.

Note 2.
If  fdisk or  a subsequent  installation  step fails  with "Track
Flagged  Bad" or  "Watchdog Timeout"  errors,  or appears  to get
stuck at  some point, you are probably  operating your hard drive
in  an incompatible  translation mode.  You  will need  to change
your setup to use either the true physical drive parameters or at
least a  better set  of translation  mode parameters.  It  may be
necessary  to contact  the  manufacturer of  your  hard drive  to
determine the  true number of  heads, cylinders, and  sectors per
track for your drive.

Mark Williams Tech. Support		(708)-291-6700 (voice)
uunet!mwc!support			(708)-291-6750 (fax)

- ------ End enclosed file

For comparison, my system is a 386, AMI BIOS with type 47. I'm using
a Seagate IDE ST1144AT, 125 meg drive under translation. The actual
drive parameters could not be used because the drive physically
changes the number of sectors per track depending on the track it is
located on.

Hope this helps. It sure worked for me.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 14:30:54 -0500
From: yahn@midget.towson.edu (Jan Zawadzki)
To: G-SKER@vm1.spcs.umn.edu, coherent
Subject: Re:  Coherent Master Boot

I finally got the thing OFF my drive.  As most of the respondents did not know,
IDE drives in most cases CANNOT BE RE-FORMATTED.  A LOW-LEVEL format is needed
to remove the master boot block, and that is exactly what IDE does not do.
I was lucky, in my case I tried H-Format, and amazingly enough it worked.
The drive is OK, master boot was cleaned.  As a warning, I repeat:
IDE drives CANNOT normally be low-level formatted.  MWC should provide an exec
to remove their boot block from any drive.  If you cannot remove it from your
IDE drive, try DM or any other low-level formatter.  While they are not supposed
to do anything on an IDE, they cannot damage it either.  It just might work.
Good luck.

Jan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 01:20:36 -0500
From: gt1342a@prism.gatech.edu (gt1342a gt1342a )
To: coherent
Subject: ZOO - where!!?!

I believe that it was announced that sources for
ZOO ported for coherent were going to be put on
piggy.ucsb.edu, but they haven't shown up there
yet from what I can tell.  What's the status on
that?

Chuck LeDuc	gt1342a@prism.gatech.edu

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 23

	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801