[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 25

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Robert Parker) (03/29/91)

Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 25      Thu Mar 28 14:06:14 CST 1991

Today's Topics:

   COherent Info
   UUCP
   Re: RE: smail & cnews
   Re: UUCP
   HELP
   Re: HELP
   comp.os.coherent passes 339/20

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

  [Special "Homage to Democracy" issue.
   Allow me to direct your attention to the final article in this issue of
   the digest.  Is the day of Comp.os.coherent upon us?  -Ed. ]

Date: 27 Mar 91 15:44:34 EST
From: Stephane Doucet <73207.1247@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: COherent Info

Dan,
   Well...I guess you've come to the right place to find out about
Coherent. What sort of questions do you have? I've been running
it with success 24hrs/day for over 2 weeks now. It crashed once
and was down for a few days because my motherboard blew a few RAM
chips. :) Thats been it really...and I run it on a 12Mhz 286 with
640K (approx. :)) RAM and a 20Mb Hard drive.

- -Stephane

P.S. For all you other UUCP users out there. Does anyone access
the MWCBBS with a nodeid other than 'bbsuser'? MWC told me that
an account was created for me with the right to access the bbs
as node F1 (i.e. mail is sent to F1!SDOUCET or F1!ROOT). The
moment I changed UUCPNAME and DOMAIN to reflect this...no more
dialing to mwcbbs. Bad response to 2nd message?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 16:47:39 -0500
From: jwall@hub.cs.JMU.EDU (jay wall)
To: coherent
Subject: UUCP

Stephane: I originally told mwcbbs that my site name was 'Taurus', but then
found out that I couldn't logon (2nd message crap) because my site name
wasn't 'Taurus' at all.  It was 'taurus'.  MWC obviously doesn't pay much
attention to capitalization.  What you can do is login as 'bbsuser', down-
load the maillist file in /usr/spool/mwcnews (I think!) and find out how
they have you listed.  I can almost bet that you will find f1 or sdoucet,
or some combination of both.  I am almost sure that this is your problem...

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 91 17:10:27
From: root%trystro.uucp@Think.COM (Richard Nickle)
To: coherent
Subject: Re: RE: smail & cnews

- -|1.)  You get double headers on incoming mail, since both smail and
- -|     coherent's mail insert their own header.
Not if you use deliver, as Esa Ahola recommends in his porting docs.
Unfortunately, you can't use the Coherent mailreading software then,
you'll have to use something else.  My CoMB mailreader works (at least
for me :), but then again, I constantly delete mail) but has limitations
in the number of messages you can safely keep in the mailbox (around 50).
I'm working on moving the indexes out of the severely limited stack
and onto a disk (serious speed penalties no doubt).  I probably won't
be able to get a working version out for another month.

- -|2.)  smail's default set up calls lmail for local mail delivery which
- -|     which is incompatiable with coherent's mail which has to be called
- -|     as rmail.  You have to change the #define LMAIL in defs.h to call
- -|     coherent's mail as rmail, but since smail installs a link between
- -|     /bin/smail and /bin/rmail, the LMAIL rmail has to be in a different
- -|     directory.
I just use smail2.5, deliver, and CoMB.  rmail is linked to lmail (deliver),
and the 'mail' program (svbinmail) will call comb as /bin/mailx or smail
as sending agent.  It's worked very well for me for over a month.

- -|3.)  I haven't been able to get smail bounch 'undeliverable' or
- -|     'unknown user', or whatever the error message is, back to
- -|     the sender when an error happens.  Has anyone on the list been
- -|     able to get this to work?
Yes.

I never had a problem with mail bouncing back to me if undeliverable.
That part works fine.  My only problem was that I had to do a 'fixstack 2000'
instead of the '1000' that was in the distribution.

- -|I don't really see much advance to using smail, but I've gone ahead
- -|and left it installed on my system.  mwc has a mail system based on
- -|smail in the works for a future release of coherent.
Smail is smart.  With a well-defined routing database it can make sending
messages a lot easier.  It also gives you the 'smart mail' capabilities
which I believe are required to register a domain name (although I'm not
certain....I haven't bothered to register).

I also like the fact that it immediately queues a uux job for local
(low-cost in the routing table) sites, which in itself makes it entirely
worthwhile for me.

How MWC could improve smail I cannot fathom.  What they really should
be working on is a 386 version so that we can get pathalias running.
Not to mention the several meg of other source I have sitting around
here waiting for a larger memory-model.

If they hadn't relied on the ^A^A message seperators in their mail
program in the first place, we wouldn't have this problem with having
to provide a seperate mailreader for use with deliver.  (CoMB and WMAIL
are the only two I know about that work).

Rick

__|__  __      __ __|__  __   __  __
  |   |   |  ||__   |   |__| |   |  |
  |__ |   |__| __|  |__ |__  |   |__|
           __| 2400bps (617) 625-7155 	     fcsys!trystro!rick@think.com

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 91 18:09:05
From: root%trystro.uucp@Think.COM (Richard Nickle)
To: coherent
Subject: Re: UUCP

- -|
- -|Stephane: I originally told mwcbbs that my site name was 'Taurus', but then
- -|found out that I couldn't logon (2nd message crap) because my site name
- -|wasn't 'Taurus' at all.  It was 'taurus'.  MWC obviously doesn't pay much
- -|attention to capitalization.  What you can do is login as 'bbsuser', down-
- -|load the maillist file in /usr/spool/mwcnews (I think!) and find out how
- -|they have you listed.  I can almost bet that you will find f1 or sdoucet,
- -|or some combination of both.  I am almost sure that this is your problem...
- -|
It is highly recommended that you keep your UUCP sitename lowercase.
For purposes of registering as a site on usenet, it's even more strongly
recommended (of course, nothing can be enforced, but if you scan
all 4-5Mb of the uucp maps, you'll see nary an uppercase letter in
the sitename fields).

Rick

------------------------------

Date: Wed Mar 27 17:19:56 1991
From: Bill Henning <bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: HELP

I am having a problem with remote logins. They don't work for me.
I use '1r3com2r' in /etc/ttys. If I un-comment /usr/bin/modeminit
in /etc/rc then /etc/rc hangs when booting. After some modification
/usr/bin/modeminit will work if invoked manually from a shell.
System: generic 386DX,4Mb,WD 1:1RLL,2x65Mb disk, Supra 2400 internal modem
Can anyone tell me if they have gotten the above configuration to work?
(I was able to uucp to mwcbbs using 0rLcom2r) I need to use the same
modem for both incoming and outgoing calls.

- --
+-----------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Amiga//   |   UUCP: bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca /* preferred address */    |
| 1000//    |                                                                |
| \\ //     |   -or-  uunet!van-bc!bhami!bhenning       \___ last resort     |
|  \X/bhami |   -or-  uunet!wimsey.bc.ca!bhami!bhenning /    may not work!   |
+-----------+----------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: 28 Mar 91 10:16:28
From: root%trystro.uucp@Think.COM (Richard Nickle)
To: coherent
Subject: Re: HELP

- -|I am having a problem with remote logins. They don't work for me.
- -|I use '1r3com2r' in /etc/ttys. If I un-comment /usr/bin/modeminit
- -|in /etc/rc then /etc/rc hangs when booting. After some modification
- -|/usr/bin/modeminit will work if invoked manually from a shell.
- -|System: generic 386DX,4Mb,WD 1:1RLL,2x65Mb disk, Supra 2400 internal modem
- -|Can anyone tell me if they have gotten the above configuration to work?
- -|(I was able to uucp to mwcbbs using 0rLcom2r) I need to use the same
- -|modem for both incoming and outgoing calls.
I had weird problems with dialins using 1r3com2r, none of them ever suitably
explained.  When I tried 1r3com2pr (polled), suddenly the port started working.
I can not tell you how or why, but they seem to work okay now.

I don't use modeminit at all, I rely on the Hangup string in /etc/modemcap
to reset the modems to auto-answer/no-echo/no-verbosity/no-response to commands
after each poll.  Since I poll a uucp site on an HOURLY/DEMAND basis, if my
modems get fouled up, the problem will be corrected within an hour, even if
I'm not there.  The only thing this doesn't prevent is me leaving the keyboard
in kermit mode and falling asleep.

Now, supposing there's no uucp site you can connect with on an hourly basis,
and you still want to keep your ports in line using my method, you COULD
make up a bogus site and set up crontab to call hourly.  Naturally, you'd
use a number that would never get answered, or your mother-in-law's number.
Absolutely do not have uucp making hourly calls to 1-900-GIVITUP.

Rick

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 13:45:51 -0600
From: lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman)
To: coherent
Subject: comp.os.coherent passes 339/20

Smile!

Text of announcement follows (less roster of voters)

- -lar

- ---------
comp.os.coherent vote results (unverified) indicate that
comp.os.coherent PASSES.

The voting period for the CFV for an unmoderated newsgroup,
comp.os.coherent, is ended.  The tally of valid votes was
339 for, 20 against (approximately 17/1).  I did not count
multiple votes by individuals or votes by otherwise
unidentified "root" or "superuser" accounts; there were
about a dozen of these.  I also did not count 4 votes that
were received by persons without accounts, as these votes
would not be verifiable under the guideline.  I did not
count the "abstain" vote I received.

You have 5 days to correct any errors in the voter list or
voting procedure, following the posting of this announcement
in news.announce.newgroups.

I wish to thank those who voted and those who wanted to vote.
I would like to extend special thanks to Curt Sampson who
put aside a considerable investment of his own time by
withdrawing an RFD for alt.coherent in order to allow this
discussion and vote to come to pass without confusion or
bickering.

- -lar

  (vote tally omitted)

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 91.1, No. 25

	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
	(608) 238-3801