[comp.os.misc] Coherent Masterboot Problems

joachim@incom.incom.de (Joachim Riedel) (04/02/91)

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (April Glaspie) writes:

>	So, does the masterboot work or not?  I have heard of some
>problems with incompatabilities with MS-DOS 4.01, but I assume that
>these have to do with extended partitions and large (> 32 Mbyte)
>partition sizes.  I have also heard that the MS-DOS fdisk should be
>used instead of the Coherent version, but this seems problematical at
>best.  Any ideas?

I have two versions of Coherent and use it on my laptop with MS-DOS 4.01
(16 MB DOS, 32 MB Coherent, Victor 286P, DTC RLL, PTI Hard Disk). The other
one, a 386 with two Harddisks RODIME 5130R, each 110 MB, also with MSDOs4.01.
First Harddisk 32 MB DOS, 32, 46 MB Coherent, 110 MB Dos. The Masterboot
always works. Maybe Coherent didn't like IDE-Controllers. You should also try
other Boot Managers. There was one in comp.os.binaries.ibm.pc some weeks
ago. But I never had problems with MSDOS 4.01 and Coherent on the same
hard disk

Joachim

For replies use:   joachim@jrix.radig.de