[comp.os.misc] Need info on Minix and Coherent...

zebr361@ut-emx.uucp (toney cassel) (04/21/91)

I have a '386 machine with a 70Meg Hard drive, and I am looking around for
a version or clone of UNIX. So far I've pretty much given up on the larger
stuff, not having the loose bucks to upgrade my hardware, just yet. I've
seen articles in some magazines for Minix and Coherent. Does anyone actually
own one of these? If so, could you give an end user's report? Of course the
ads tell me that they'll solve all my problems but I've fallen for the flashy
box x^y times too many.
  In essence, any reports on the above mentioned Operating Systems will be
welcomed!

Toney Cassel(student)
St. Edward's University  (512)448-8400 ext. 2029
Academic Computing Lab   Home (512)444-0710
3001 S. Congress
Austin, TX 78704

In article <47567@ut-emx.uucp> zebr361@ut-emx.uucp (toney cassel) writes:
> I have a '386 machine with a 70Meg Hard drive, and I am looking around for
> a version or clone of UNIX. So far I've pretty much given up on the larger
> stuff, not having the loose bucks to upgrade my hardware, just yet.

I'm running System V.3.2 on my 4 MB RAM 16 MHz 70 MB Disk 80386 box, with
a partial news feed, a BBS, development areas, and about 10 MB free after
all of that. I wouldn't rule out real UNIX yet.

Minix: 8086 O/S, with 386 version available by applying patches. See
	comp.os.minix.

Coherent: 80286 O/S, no 80386 version available. See comp.os.coherent.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (04/23/91)

In article <OXWAWN8@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Minix: 8086 O/S, with 386 version available by applying patches. See
>	comp.os.minix.

	Woops.  The current official version of Minix (1.5) runs in protected
mode on the 286.  It allows 64K of instruction and 64K of data space.  It
also lets you run programs in "extended" memory.  I believe this is on
a par with Coherent.

>Coherent: 80286 O/S, no 80386 version available. See comp.os.coherent.

				Bill Bogstad