[comp.os.misc] Wang VS-80 question

joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) (05/01/91)

Does anyone know anything about the Wang VS-80 mainframe?

I was offered one cheap and would like to know a little about it.

Any information or leads to information would be appreciated.

I'd like to know if there is a Unix for it?  If it's printers
and/or disk drives are SCSI? etc.

Thanks,

Joseph R. Skoler

UUCP:      cmcl2!panix!kc2yu!joseph
UUCP:      panix!joseph
BITNET:    skohc@cunyvm.bitnet
INTERNET:  ak526@cleveland.freenet.edu
AMPR NET:  kc2yu@kc2yu.ampr.org  [44.68.32.56]
PBBS:      kc2yu@nn2z.nj.usa.na

jkubicky@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph J. Kubicky) (05/01/91)

joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) writes:

>Does anyone know anything about the Wang VS-80 mainframe?
>I was offered one cheap and would like to know a little about it.
>Any information or leads to information would be appreciated.
>I'd like to know if there is a Unix for it?  If it's printers
>and/or disk drives are SCSI? etc.

I worked for a small data-processing house that used a VS-85 as
it's main machine.  The thing was, IMHO, a dog.  The basic architecture
was along the lines of the 370 family.  I don't know about UNIX, but
they were running the standard Wang VS operating system that supported
a volume/library/file file system; that is, once you specified which
disk your file was on, you had a single level of subdirectories.  All
the terminals were special Wang terminals - generic VT100-types couldn't
be used.  This place was using the thing for COBOL and WP, and it
worked ok for them, but I wouldn't recommend it as a general-purpose
machine (when I worked there, I don't know if there was even a C compiler
available).

Jay Kubicky

tedg@apollo.HP.COM (Ted Grzesik) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr30.214659.22978@panix.uucp> joseph@panix.uucp (Joseph R. Skoler) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the Wang VS-80 mainframe?
>
>I was offered one cheap and would like to know a little about it.
>
>Any information or leads to information would be appreciated.
>
>I'd like to know if there is a Unix for it?  If it's printers
>and/or disk drives are SCSI? etc.

I used to work at Wang in the Languages group.

Unless you plan to use it as a COBOL/Data processing/WP system for multiple users,
avoid it.  Wang did create a version of UNIX called IN/IX, but it's a bare bones
version of the OS.  To use serial terminals you need a special option card, so
getting IN/IX is probably out of the question since Wang would charge you a LOT for
the serial I/O card.  I think a 286 PC would probably execute faster than that CPU.
It's real strength is I/O.  The I/O processors are very intelligent, which make it
quite good for a typical Data Processing application.  The CPU is not geared for
scientific applications.  'nuff said.

The system is good for what it was intended for:  writing and executing COBOL
programs.  Other languages on native VS OS include C, FORTRAN, PL/1, RPG, and Ada.

Any Unix person would be hopelessly distressed using the native VS OS.  However,
Wang didn't get to be a multi-billion $ company by making totally useless machines.
They just don't fit the paradigm of a Unix hacker.

                   FYI,
                   Ted Grzesik

Ted Grzesik                            Hewlett-Packard Company
Massachusetts Language Lab             Chelmsford, MA  (508) 256-6600 x5959
tedg@apollo.hp.com
Ted Grzesik
tedg@apollo.hp.com
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
                                       -- Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)