[comp.os.misc] IPC mechanisms in UNIXen

> >	FIFOs (I'd call them "named pipes", but I don't want to confuse
> >	the OS/2oids in the audience)
> >	sockets of various flavors
> >	S5 message queues
> >	S5 shared memory
> Semaphores (xenix and SVID), and xenix shared memory.
Plus, various RPC methods, plain pipes and PTYs.
And Mach messages.
Luckily nobody still uses multiplexed files (remember them?).
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/21/91)

In <E_FBRQ6@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>> >	FIFOs (I'd call them "named pipes", but I don't want to confuse
>> >	the OS/2oids in the audience)
>> >	sockets of various flavors
>> >	S5 message queues
>> >	S5 shared memory
>> Semaphores (xenix and SVID), and xenix shared memory.
>Plus, various RPC methods, plain pipes and PTYs.
>And Mach messages.
>Luckily nobody still uses multiplexed files (remember them?).
>--
>Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
>Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

Why would anybody want to compare OS/2 and Unix anyhow?  When I first
heard the announcements of OS/2 I though it was a major mistake.  Why
would you want to invest all that money in a system that can only serve
one user.  I don't care to hear about any hacking either,  I'm sure you
could support multiple users under OS/2 (I seem to recall such a
product), but haven't we been hacked to death enough by DOS?

Personally, I like the idea of having a box with a command line if I
want it, a GUI if I don't, support for multiple processors and huge
memory space, and the capability to add more users and terminals if I
like.

I've heard some lame statements like:  "I'm the only one who uses the
computer".  That's fine until someone else in the household or business
"develops a need".

Basically the questions is not "OS/2, better than Unix?", but more like
"OS/2, what's the point?".
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

>Plus, various RPC methods,

I didn't count them because they're generally either implemented atop
sockets or atop streams/TLI.

>plain pipes

I didn't count them, either, because in many implementations they're
just FIFOs without names.