[comp.os.misc] Anyone using Amoeba?

skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) (06/13/91)

Is anyone using Amoeba on a day-to-day basis?  Does the system have any
significant limitations which prevent it from being used for real work?
How easy is it to obtain an Amoeba license and source code?

I've read the ACM article and some of the papers available on uunet.
It sounds interesting, but I'd like to hear from someone with first-hand
experience using it.

Rich
--
skrenta@amix.commodore.com

kevinb@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Kevin Boyes) (06/13/91)

In article <2575@amix.commodore.com> skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) writes:
>Is anyone using Amoeba on a day-to-day basis?  Does the system have any
>significant limitations which prevent it from being used for real work?
>How easy is it to obtain an Amoeba license and source code?
>
>I've read the ACM article and some of the papers available on uunet.
>It sounds interesting, but I'd like to hear from someone with first-hand
>experience using it.
>
>Rich
>--
>skrenta@amix.commodore.com

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question!

What is the volume number, etc. for the ACM article?

I tried to mail this to skrenta@amix.commodore.com instead of
posting it, but the mail bounced back (almost immediately).

				Tkanks,
				Kevin.

Kevin Boyes                                     kevinb@maccs.dcss.McMaster.CA
McMaster University                         ...!uunet!utai!utgpu!maccs!kevinb

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/14/91)

In article <2856A2FF.23655@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> kevinb@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Kevin Boyes) writes:
>In article <2575@amix.commodore.com> skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) writes:
>>Is anyone using Amoeba on a day-to-day basis?  Does the system have any
>>significant limitations which prevent it from being used for real work?
>>How easy is it to obtain an Amoeba license and source code?

Not a lot of folks.  We haven't really begun the distribution yet.  With a
bit of luck, that will be real soon.  Watch this space for an announcement.

To avoid confusion, Amoeba is NOT a UNIX clone.  It is an experimental
distributed system designed for connecting a large number of machines and
making them work together like a single system.  We have some UNIX emulation
libraries and have ported or rewritten > 100 UNIX programs, but Amoeba is
by no stretch of the imagination UNIX.

It will be available to universities with full source for $750 on an exabyte
tape.  A license will be required, in which you acknowledge that its not our
fault if Amoeba makes your computer act funny.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

skrenta@amix.commodore.com (Rich Skrenta) (06/15/91)

kevinb@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Kevin Boyes) writes:
> What is the volume number, etc. for the ACM article?

December 1990, Vol. 33, No. 12.  Starts on page 46.

There is also a huge collections of amoeba papers on uunet in
networking/amoeba/amoeba-doc.tar.Z.  It's troff source, about 300
pages printed out.  I have diffs to fix the pic syntax errors in it
if anyone wants them.

> I tried to mail this to skrenta@amix.commodore.com instead of
> posting it, but the mail bounced back (almost immediately).

Your site's mailer sucks.  Try prefixing all of your mail with 'uunet!'
or some other site that can route domain addressed mail correctly.

Rich