[comp.os.cpm] Distributing CP/M sources

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (11/05/86)

There has been a small discussion about the future of source distribution
for various micros with the newsgroup reorganization. It appears that there
will not be a sources group that will accept CP/M software (the issue was
originally raised by PC users who will also be "abandoned").

One thought is that a mod.sources.cpm group could be created to take this
code. Another thought is that the SIMTEL20 archives, with their UUCP access
scheme, is adequate for the distribution of software, with announcements in
comp.os.cpm.

Any thoughts?

ken@rochester.ARPA (Comfy chair) (11/06/86)

Perhaps we have something like Argonne's automatic archive retrieval
system.  You can just send it mail and it sends the sources by return
mail. I can see problems with all those strange return addresses
though.

	Ken

brengle@hplabsc.UUCP (Tim Brengle) (11/07/86)

While having the SIMTEL20 archives is a truly wonderful thing, it is less
than reliable for me.  I have requested a couple of files as many as 3 times
(requests separated by at least a week) without getting any response from
them at all.  Other files I have received parts 2 and 3 of three, and never
gotten part 1.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

It would be very nice to have a *reliable* source...

				Tim Brengle

msmiley@NOSC.ARPA (11/10/86)

The problem could be in your path, (some are simply more reliable than others)
or you could be addressing your requests wrong. They are to be sent to
ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20, not ARCHIVE-SERVER where the programs are sent
*from*. Hope this helps.

...nosc!crash!pnet01!msmiley

ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) (11/11/86)

In article <921@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>..... Another thought is that the SIMTEL20 archives, with their UUCP access
>scheme, is adequate for the distribution of software, with announcements in
>comp.os.cpm.

I have been reading the news for three months now, and have seen references
to SIMTEL20 and the CP/M archives, but this is the first reference I have
seen to having UUCP access.  Have I missed a "quarterly" posting or something?

Would somebody please send me the instructions for accessing this stuff?
There are several recent announcements of stuff placed on SIMTEL20 that
I would (almost) kill to get :-)

Many Thanks in advance.
Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw
The line eater is a boojum snark!	additional mail to ..ethos!dukcds!ggw