[comp.os.cpm] bookshops ?

PFENNIGER%CGEUGE51.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (12/08/86)

GREETINGS,
This message is primarily intended for those people familiar with
 the >Manhattan< area of New York. I will be passing thru NY in a few weeks
 for a flying visit (less than 24 hours). I want to buy some reference books
 etc on WORDSTAR, dBASE II ETC and computing books in general. Can anybody
out there give me some recommendations as to where in Manhatten I should go
to get the best selection etc, as I will not have the time to go roaming around
 town looking for bookshops. Any advice on locations etc of bookshops would be
appreciated......Brian Jarvis. Geneva Switzerland.

kenny@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (12/10/86)

Excuse me for posting to the net, but your BITNET address got trashed
somewhere.

/* Written 10:57 am  Dec  8, 1986 by PFENNIGER%CGEUGE@wiscvm.ARPA in uiucdcsb:comp.os.cpm */
/* ---------- "bookshops ?" ---------- */
GREETINGS,
This message is primarily intended for those people familiar with
 the >Manhattan< area of New York. I will be passing thru NY in a few weeks
 for a flying visit (less than 24 hours). I want to buy some reference books
 etc on WORDSTAR, dBASE II ETC and computing books in general. Can anybody
out there give me some recommendations as to where in Manhatten I should go
to get the best selection etc, as I will not have the time to go roaming around
 town looking for bookshops. Any advice on locations etc of bookshops would be
appreciated......Brian Jarvis. Geneva Switzerland.
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:comp.os.cpm */

No question.  Barnes&Noble.  Fifth Avenue at around 18th Street (It's
been a while... best to check the phone book first and get the exact
address).  They pride themselves on being able to come up with
virtually any textbook, including out-of-print ones.  I still use them
as a last-resort source when other efforts to find a book have failed,
even though I haven't lived in New York for years.

Kevin Kenny			UUCP: {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!kenny
Department of Computer Science	ARPA: kenny@B.CS.UIUC.EDU (kenny@UIUC.ARPA)
University of Illinois		CSNET: kenny@UIUC.CSNET
1304 W. Springfield Ave.
Urbana, Illinois, 61801		Voice: (217) 333-8740

jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (12/12/86)

> This message is primarily intended for those people familiar with
>  the >Manhattan< area of New York. I will be passing thru NY in a few weeks
>  town looking for bookshops. Any advice on locations etc of bookshops would be
> appreciated......Brian Jarvis. Geneva Switzerland.

Pardon the posting but a lot of my e-mail has been bounced back,
and I want this reply received on time to be useful.

Barnes and Noble has a good selection at their main store at
17th street and 5th Avenue.  You don't have the time to browse the
Bargain Annex across the street.

I remember a good selection of computer books at Coliseum Books
at 57th Street and Broadway (I believe).  It's near the NY Coliseum.

	Jeffrey Jonas
	{ihnp4 | allegra | cbosgd} attunix ! jeffj

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (12/17/86)

McGraw Hill Bookstore (6th near 46th) is my second choice after the
big B&N.

wjh@wayback.UUCP (Bill Hery) (12/18/86)

> McGraw Hill Bookstore (6th near 46th) is my second choice after the
> big B&N.

Another interesting place for advanced computer, math, physics, and
engineering books is Books Scientific, near Barnes and Nobles 18th st.
store at 18 E. 16th Street (just east of fifth Avenue).

They have a good selection of textbooks (undergrad and grad) and monographs;
I've found things there that B&N didn't stock.  They don't take credit cards,
but they did take a personal check from a NJ bank.  All this information is
as of about a year ago.

Bill Hery
ihnp4!bonnie!wjh

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (12/19/86)

>From: wjh@wayback.UUCP (Bill Hery)
>Another interesting place for advanced computer, math, physics, and
>engineering books is Books Scientific, near Barnes and Nobles 18th st.

I have been buying my textbooks and all my technical books from them
for over 3 years now.  They are a fantastic store.  They have almost
everything.  They also give you a ten percent discount and they also
only charge $1.50 for shipping (they ship UPS, BTW).

Their address and phone number:

Books Scientific
18th E. 16th Street, 2nd Floor
New York NY 10003
800-621-1220

Usual disclaimer...I have no connections to Books Scientific except as
a satisfied customer.
--

ARPA:	phaedrus@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus