[comp.os.cpm] C compiler requests

Ghenis.pasa@xerox.ARPA (12/16/86)

>In article <4840@reed.UUCP> keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
>>
>>Wanted/Needed:  A real legal copy of the Aztec C compiler for my
>>Epson QX-10 CP/M computer.  Must have the manual and all
'comes-withs'.

>>And, oh yes, I'm willin to pay for it, too.  Other 5.25" CP/M formats
>>would probably be acceptable.
>
>I also need a good C compiler under CP/M.  I'm on a Kaypro.  Aztec C
>would be dandy, but Software Toolworks C would be ok also.

So why don't you guys just go ahead and buy your compilers directly from
Aztec or Software Toolworks? They will be very happy to sell you a real
legal copy, and carry both QX-10 and Kaypro formats. Mix also has a C
compiler for just $39, with tons of documentation, a good deal for a
learning tool.

Remember that info-cpm isn't for classified ads (at least on the ARPANET
side).

Cheers!

-- Pablo Ghenis

keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) (12/17/86)

In article <1560@brl-adm.ARPA> Ghenis.pasa@xerox.ARPA writes:

>>In article <4840@reed.UUCP> keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
>>
>>Wanted/Needed:  A real legal copy of the Aztec C compiler for
>>my Epson QX-10 CP/M computer.  Must have the manual and all
>>'comes-withs'.  [...]
>
>So why don't you guys ... buy your compilers directly from
>Aztec or Software Toolworks? They will ... sell you a real
>legal copy,... Mix also has a C compiler for just $39, with
>tons of documentation, a good deal for a learning tool.
>  [...] -- Pablo Ghenis

The reason I posted this to the net is that most of you reading this
are now developing under the *nix environment.  Many of you who may
have bought a 'real legal' copy of the Aztec C compiler no longer use
or need it.  I'm simply offering an oportunity for someone to re-coup
a little of their investment by selling a tool they no longer need.

As it turns out, I ran out of time and so have purchased my own copy
directly.  However, I've received requests from others to turn over
any 'extra' leads to them.

As for MIX C, I've also heard that it's worthless for serious work.
I have tried it, along with SuperSoft, Ecco, and BDS.  None are full
implementations of C (at least in the versions I've got).

-Keith Brown
...!tektronix!reed!keithb

mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (12/18/86)

In article <4936@reed.UUCP> keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
>In article <1560@brl-adm.ARPA> Ghenis.pasa@xerox.ARPA writes:
>>>In article <4840@reed.UUCP> keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
>>>
>>>Wanted/Needed:  A real legal copy of the Aztec C compiler for
>>>my Epson QX-10 CP/M computer.  Must have the manual and all
>>>'comes-withs'.  [...]
>>
>>So why don't you guys ... buy your compilers directly from
>>Aztec or Software Toolworks? They will ... sell you a real
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is the C by Software Toolworks?  I understand it is about $50
for CP/M.

>As for MIX C, I've also heard that it's worthless for serious work.
>I have tried it, along with SuperSoft, Ecco, and BDS.  None are full
>implementations of C (at least in the versions I've got).

Is Software Toolworks C a full implementation (or close)?
|     Mark Steven Jeghers         ECHOMPGULP - process has eaten it          |
| cryptography, terrorist, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
| Cogent Software Solutions can not be held responsible for anything said    |
| by the above person since they have no control over him in the first place |

root@GALBPBB.UUCP (12/30/86)

In article <109@cogent.UUCP> mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) writes:
>How is the C by Software Toolworks?  I understand it is about $50
>for CP/M.

DO NOT GET THIS COMPILER!!!

I got one and the stupid thing stacks the arguements to subroutines in
REVERSE ORDER!!! This makes routines like printf and scanf very awkward.
They have to define a macro which expands into two calls; the first to
a routine that marks the stack position in a global variable, then they
call a bastardized printf that looks at the args backwards from the
global variable content.

Now, if you can live with that crap, I have nothing but contempt
for you.

galbp!bing

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (01/05/87)

I've used the Software Toolworks C compiler for a while and while
it does push the arguments to functions in reverse order (like the
Small-c compiler), it does document this.  I used the compiler to
write filters and some comunications programs (it does allow
#asm inline assembly).  It got the job done for me and the
price was right.

		David Dyck
		dcd@tc.fluke.com