[comp.os.cpm] z280 inquiry

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (05/01/87)

>>Date: 29 Apr 87 19:35:17 GMT
>>From: mcvax!enea!tut!pl@seismo.css.gov  (Pertti Lehtinen)
>>Subject: Z280

>> ....	When I was reading article, I start to wonder,
>>	would there be any use for this kind of product,
>>	or is this or last strike of Z80-empire.

>>	Any opinions?
---------------
	I would suspect that the Z280 has a real chance only if it gets
around some of the idiocies of the 8086 family, that make programming a
pain, while still being able to run old Z80 code without an emulator or
a Z80 option card.
	Another *BIG* question is: memory manangement for HOW MUCH
memory?  If it won't allow direct access to at least 4Mb, what good is
it?  Right now, my next system looks to be a 68000 running CP/M-68K.
It may not run Z80 code, but i won't run short of memory any time soon.
Come to think of it maybe Tandy has a good idea in their model 6000; it
has both a 68000 and a Z80, although it isn't clear from the description
whether the user has access to the 8 bit processor or if it is a
dedicated i/o device.

   [standard disclaimers and trademark acknowledgments apply.]
der

-------

apn@nonvon.UUCP (root) (05/02/87)

in article <12298928131.19.D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA>, D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA says:

>>>Date: 29 Apr 87 19:35:17 GMT
>>>From: mcvax!enea!tut!pl@seismo.css.gov  (Pertti Lehtinen)
>>>Subject: Z280
>
>>> ....	When I was reading article, I start to wonder,
>>>	would there be any use for this kind of product,
>>>	or is this or last strike of Z80-empire.
>
>>>	Any opinions?
> ---------------
> 	I would suspect that the Z280 has a real chance only if it gets
> around some of the idiocies of the 8086 family, that make programming a
> pain, while still being able to run old Z80 code without an emulator or
> a Z80 option card.
> 	Another *BIG* question is: memory manangement for HOW MUCH
> memory?  If it won't allow direct access to at least 4Mb, what good is
> it?  Right now, my next system looks to be a 68000 running CP/M-68K.
> It may not run Z80 code, but i won't run short of memory any time soon.
> Come to think of it maybe Tandy has a good idea in their model 6000; it
> has both a 68000 and a Z80, although it isn't clear from the description
> whether the user has access to the 8 bit processor or if it is a
> dedicated i/o device.
>
>    [standard disclaimers and trademark acknowledgments apply.]
> der
>
> -------

	no..... the user did not have much access to the z80 processor
when on the 68k. It was a dedicated i/o processor, and tandy does not
give out ( or make available) any info on how to access it.

-alex p novickis

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,seismo,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}