[comp.os.cpm] posting information

jon@amc.UUCP.UUCP (06/03/87)

I have just finished work on a version of UNIX make which runs on CP/M.
I am going to be releasing it as a share-ware product, and would like to
post it to the list.  Do you have any problems with this?  Or any suggestions
of how to go about it?

michaelk@copper.UUCP (06/03/87)

>I am going to be releasing it as a share-ware product, and would like to
>post it to the list.  Do you have any problems with this?  Or any suggestions
>of how to go about it?

There is an excellent PD non-shareware (cheaper: as in free) "make" in the
SIMTEL20 archives that works rather well under CP/M 3.0, so you might
want to keep your price on the low side.  8-)

I have been meaning to send Keith P. my updated version that I've been
using for a while but I seem to have trouble sending things to him &
haven't heard from him since my last two or three mailings (this is a hint
in case you're reading this Keith).  My newer version isn't all that much
better though...the "old" one is perfectly fine.  My dancing fingers like
to do the creeping-feature waltz......

The version I generated (the two above) are ones that I "strongly-ported"
from the version USENET-posted by a gentleman in Australia whose name I
don't recall (his name is in the bit of documentation I wrote up for the
package).  His version was *for* UNIX (of some flavor).

One of the changes I've made is so that when "my" make is used with CCP105
(my update of CCP104), execution of the "make-proceedure" optionally will
terminate upon a step-wise error (RSX's are provided in the CCP105 package
to make you compiler, assembler, linker, etc cooperate).  This was one of
the last "features" that I debugged and got actually working.  I don't
think the "old version" of make will keep the "steps" out of CCP105's
csh-like history mechanism, but my current version does.

Anyway, if your version is for CP/M 2.2 (which my version doesn't work
for), then this surely is a needed "product".  If so, you might mention
what file timestamping mechanism (or equivalent) you require the target
system to have.

I don't know about the distribution policy on the ARPA side of things,
but I've seen some shareware across the USENET side (most noteably "ARC").

--
Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products

bill@sigma.UUCP (WIlliam Swan) (06/04/87)

In <1088@copper.TEK.COM> michaelk@copper.UUCP (Michael D. Kersenbrock) writes:
>>I have just finished work on a version of UNIX make which runs on CP/M.
>>I am going to be releasing it as a share-ware product, and would like to
>>post it to the list.  Do you have any problems with this?  Or any suggestions
>>of how to go about it?
>There is an excellent PD non-shareware (cheaper: as in free) "make" in the
>SIMTEL20 archives that works rather well under CP/M 3.0, so you might
>want to keep your price on the low side.  8-)
>[...]
>Anyway, if your version is for CP/M 2.2 (which my version doesn't work
>for), then this surely is a needed "product".  If so, you might mention
>what file timestamping mechanism (or equivalent) you require the target
>system to have.

Michael,

I don't want to diminish your efforts, but Jon's make runs on vanilla
CP/M 2.2, which some (many? I don't know) of us are stuck with. I might
like to get going with 3.0, to use some of its advantages but my system
doesn't bankswitch, and I don't know where to even get the 3.0 manuals
(which I would like to have) much less the software.

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill