[comp.os.cpm] Wish, wish *** CP/M KERMIT ***

kerschen@hpirs.HP.COM (Karen Kerschen) (10/17/87)

I've got an ageing s100 bus computer with two 8" disk drives and a
terribly buggie CPM operating system.   The darned thing's pretty fussy,
but I bought it eternities ago (used, my first computer), and I'm
kinda fond of it -- especially since I used it to write the guts of a book.

Now, I find myself with a wondrously more reliable, nicer-to-use
HP series 150 type II, with two 3 1/2" micro-floppy disk drives, and MS-DOS
operating system to use at home.  You guessed it:  I'd like to transfer
all the material stored on my 8" diskettes onto my new system.

So far, with the help of techie friends, I've succeeded in reading the
8" diskettes onto my HP screen, but not capturing the data onto the 3 1/2"
media.  I'm having my RS-232 cable and port checked to verify that the
protocols are compatible.  But once that's done, I'll need a CPM version
of **** KERMIT ***** to send the data files over the line
from CPMland to MS-DOSdom.

Is there any kind soul out there (froggie or prince(ss)) who might have
a CPM version of kermit? (I'd prefer 8" diskette version, but could have any
CPM version read onto 8" diskette, if need be.)

Thanks a 'pond-ful' for your help!!
ribbit ... ribbit....

Karen Kerschen
HP-UX OS lab
408/447-0649
hpda!karen

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (10/17/87)

Karen, if you have a modem program like CROSSTALK, QMODEM, PROCOMM,
MEX-PC, GT, ZCOMM, etc. (anything that will do the "Xmodem" protocol),
running on your MSDOS machine you can use any version of MODEM7, IMP,
or MEX on the CP/M machine to transfer files through the RS232 line.
You didn't say what kind of CP/M machine you have.  As you may know,
there are considerable differences in the hardware used on various
types of CP/M machines.  One would have to know the port addresses and
status bits to configure either Kermit or MODEM7 for the CP/M machine.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 - 300, 1200, 2400 (V.22bis) or 9600 (USR HST)

mlinar@poisson.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (10/17/87)

In article <4260002@hpirs.HP.COM> kerschen@hpirs.HP.COM (Karen Kerschen) writes:

>Now, I find myself with a wondrously more reliable, nicer-to-use
>HP series 150 type II, with two 3 1/2" micro-floppy disk drives, and MS-DOS
>operating system to use at home.  You guessed it:  I'd like to transfer
>all the material stored on my 8" diskettes onto my new system.
>
>So far, with the help of techie friends, I've succeeded in reading the
>8" diskettes onto my HP screen, but not capturing the data onto the 3 1/2"
>media.  I'm having my RS-232 cable and port checked to verify that the
>protocols are compatible.  But once that's done, I'll need a CPM version
>of **** KERMIT ***** to send the data files over the line
>from CPMland to MS-DOSdom.

Hmmmm.  You may have trouble with this one.  I have KERMIT for the Kaypro
and Xerox, but it is not "nice"; KERMIT has all kinds of problems transmitting
any files with non-ASCII characters (such as found in unstripped WordStar,
dBase, Supercalc, etc.)

I would *strongly* suggest that you obtain Xtalk (Crosstalk) or some similiar
PD modem program (MEX?) which handles the XMODEM protocol for you HP150.
First of all, every system I come across these days supports it; second, with
the 1k packets, it blows away KERMIT for file transfers; third, it handles
*all* files.  If you don't have at least one modem program for your 8" CP/M,
I have at least 5 different flavors of it in source and object - just plop in
your driver.

Of course, I am presuming that you are going to use your HP150 to talk to
other systems.  In particular, if you are going to contact any BBSes, you will
need XMODEM support if you wish to upload/download any files - most BBSes do
NOT support KERMIT.

-Mitch

If *all* else fails, I also have the source to KERMIT in C buried around here
somewhere.

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/18/87)

|Hmmmm.  You may have trouble with this one.  I have KERMIT for the Kaypro
|and Xerox, but it is not "nice"; KERMIT has all kinds of problems transmitting
|any files with non-ASCII characters (such as found in unstripped WordStar,
|dBase, Supercalc, etc.)

I don't know what version of Kermit you have but Kermit has absolutely
no problems transmitting all 8 bits, since it has a quoting facility to
translate everything into a printable subset of ASCII. The host
operating system may have problems storing the files, but that is
another issue. I used to regularly transmit cross-compiled 8080
programs from Unix to my CP/M box with CP/M-80 Kermit.

	Ken

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/18/87)

|Karen, if you have a modem program like CROSSTALK, QMODEM, PROCOMM,
|MEX-PC, GT, ZCOMM, etc. (anything that will do the "Xmodem" protocol),
|running on your MSDOS machine you can use any version of MODEM7, IMP,
|or MEX on the CP/M machine to transfer files through the RS232 line.
|You didn't say what kind of CP/M machine you have.  As you may know,
|there are considerable differences in the hardware used on various
|types of CP/M machines.  One would have to know the port addresses and
|status bits to configure either Kermit or MODEM7 for the CP/M machine.

The CP/M Kermit from Columbia U has a generic mode to use the IOBYTE
calls. This is slower, but for a one-shot effort, who cares.
Configuring CP/M-80 Kermit is not a problem. There are many types of
machines supported by the code and it was easy to find one close to my
box.

Karen, you can get CP/M Kermit by anonymous ftp to CU-20B as I did but
you would still have to get Kermit into your machine. I used XMODEM to
bootstrap.  I think the most hassle free way is to get an 8 in Kermit
diskette from some helpful soul.

	Ken

conway@hplb29a.HPL.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (10/20/87)

/ hplb29a:comp.os.cpm / mlinar@poisson.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) / 10:38 am  Oct 17, 1987 /
In article <4260002@hpirs.HP.COM> kerschen@hpirs.HP.COM (Karen Kerschen) writes:

(text deleted)

>protocols are compatible.  But once that's done, I'll need a CPM version
>of **** KERMIT ***** to send the data files over the line
>from CPMland to MS-DOSdom.

  Hmmmm.  You may have trouble with this one.  I have KERMIT for the Kaypro
  and Xerox, but it is not "nice"; KERMIT has all kinds of problems transmitting
  any files with non-ASCII characters (such as found in unstripped WordStar,
  dBase, Supercalc, etc.)

Huh?  I thought that Kermit was specifically designed to tranmsit
binary files over ASCII lines.  The CP/M version that I have does this
just fine.

  If *all* else fails, I also have the source to KERMIT in C buried around here
  somewhere.

The source for CP/M in 8080 assembly language, as well as HEX .COM
file, is available from Columbia.

Dan Conway
Hewlett-Packard Building 29
Palo Alto, CA