[comp.os.cpm] Modem info

marwood@DMC-CRC.ARPA (G. J. Marwood) (11/16/87)

I am contemplating the purchase of an Avatex 1200 modem (not HC).  Does
anyone have any information on the limitations of the Hayes compatability
of this modem, and any other comments on its performance ?
                                        Gordon Marwood

mwilson@pnet01.cts.COM.UUCP (11/18/87)

crash!dmc-crc.arpa!marwood (G. J. Marwood) writes:
>I am contemplating the purchase of an Avatex 1200 modem (not HC).  Does
>anyone have any information on the limitations of the Hayes compatability
>of this modem, and any other comments on its performance ?
>                                        Gordon Marwood

     The performance of the Avatex 1200 has been quite adequate for me.  It is
not particularly noise-sensitive, and is extremely reliable.

     As for its Hayes compatibility...  All you get are a few of the AT
commands.  No S registers.  The only way to drop carrier is to drop DTR on
your RS-232 port.  Linitations, but not serious ones.

Marc Wilson
     ARPA: ...!crash!mwilson@nosc.mil
           ...!crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mwilson@nosc.mil
     UUCP: [ cbosgd | hp-sdd!hplabs | sdcsvax | nosc ]!crash!mwilson
     INET: mwilson@crash.CTS.COM

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (11/19/87)

> >I am contemplating the purchase of an Avatex 1200 modem (not HC).  Does
>
>      The performance of the Avatex 1200 has been quite adequate for me.  It is
> not particularly noise-sensitive, and is extremely reliable.
>
>      As for its Hayes compatibility...  All you get are a few of the AT
> commands.  No S registers.  The only way to drop carrier is to drop DTR on
> your RS-232 port.  Linitations, but not serious ones.
I suggest that, for only a few dollars more, the original poster
reconsider the Avatex 1200HC, which is indeed fully Hayes-compatible,
to include the internal speaker and ring detector that the non-HC
models lack.
--
    \ Yow! I finally got  \ Jersey   \ GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN      \    |||
     \ around to changing  \ Atari    \ The JACG BBS: (201)298-0161   \  / | \
 |||  \ my .signature file! \ Computer \ NetLand: knutsen@rutgers.edu  \
/ | \  \   --Mark Knutsen    \ Group    \ or: {...}!rutgers.edu!knutsen \

mknox@NGP.UTEXAS.EDU (Margaret H. Knox) (11/22/87)

I have been using this modem for about 8 months with *reasonable*
success.  It is missing two things:  a speaker and the S register.

The speaker I miss more than I thought I would.  It is annoying to
sit through several redials not realizing that the phone I am dialing
is busy.  Or worse, to mis-remember the number and finally pick up
the phone to hear someone going "Hello ... Hello?"

The S register is generally not needed.  However on the Hayes it
controls some things which can affect reliability of operation on
unusually strong or weak lines.

Conclusion:  I paid $69 for mine.  I would like the other features,
but I am fairly certain I would not like them several hundred dollars
worth.

ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) (11/23/87)

In article <8711180156.AA03056@crash.CTS.COM> pnet01!mwilson@nosc.mil writes:
>crash!dmc-crc.arpa!marwood (G. J. Marwood) writes:
>>I am contemplating the purchase of an Avatex 1200 modem (not HC).  Does
>>anyone have any information on the limitations of the Hayes compatability
>>of this modem, and any other comments on its performance ?
>>                                        Gordon Marwood
>

>     The performance of the Avatex 1200 has been quite adequate for me.  It is
>not particularly noise-sensitive, and is extremely reliable.
>
>     As for its Hayes compatibility...  All you get are a few of the AT
>commands.  No S registers.  The only way to drop carrier is to drop DTR on
>your RS-232 port.  Linitations, but not serious ones.

I generally agree.
I know several people who are presently using the Avatex 1200
with no problems.

Four things to note:

1) While the 1200 is "not particularly  noise-sensitive",
   it is not tremendous at noise filtering either.
   Around Rochester there is a great variation in phone-line
   quality.  Avatexes work fine in some areas and not in others.
   However, it is at least as good as most $200 modems I have tried.

2) The 1200 has no speaker, which can be annoying when your
   calls don't go through--you don't know if the other end didn't
   answer, answered but wasn't a modem, or was a modem
   but wasn't recognized.

3) Several stores in Rochester sell the 1200 for $99 to $110.
   I have seen it advertised in _Computer Shopper_ as
   low as $88.

4) When you place your order, explain that you are not sure if
   this modem will work on your phone lines and be sure
   the store will give you a refund if it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Mike Ciaraldi
University of Rochester Computer Science Dept.
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi