[comp.os.cpm] Sieve benchmark for Z280

bridger%rcc@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (Bridger Mitchell) (01/31/88)

A year ago, curious about the speed of compilers vs. hand-optimized
Z80 code, I wrote JETPRIME.  It proved about 140% faster that
Turbo-Modula 2, which itself was much faster than Turbo Pascal, BDS-C,
and a number of 8088 compiled versions.  JETPRIME, on 4Mhz Ampro
Littleboard, was 4.1 sec for 10 iterations; TM2 was about 10.

JETPRIME.LBR or JPRIME.LBR is available on ZNode-Central,
408-432-0821.  It may also be on other boards, and simtel20.

I'd be curious to hear how it holds up on the 280.

My third-hand understanding is that the current z280 mask doesn't
correctly handle code (and data?) changes that occur in the
associative cache memory.  Self-modifying code is therefore
unreliable, and possibly there are problems with data values also.

--bridger

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (02/06/88)

In article <8801301850.AA19041@newton.arpa> bridger%rcc@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (Bridger Mitchell) writes:
>My third-hand understanding is that the current z280 mask doesn't
>correctly handle code (and data?) changes that occur in the
>associative cache memory.  Self-modifying code is therefore
>unreliable, and possibly there are problems with data values also.

I have heard:
1: The above is a problem only in 8-bit bus mode.  (I use 16-bit)
2: The latest mask revision (due out any day now) has fixed this.

Would it make sense to start a Z-280 mailing list?  I have no
idea how this is done.  If a moderator is needed, I would volunteer.

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

pekka@senilix.liu.se (Pekka Akselin [The Mad Midnight Hacker]) (02/18/88)

Hello!
In article <1635@mipos3.intel.com> dbraun@cadev4.UUCP (Doug Braun ~) writes:
>Would it make sense to start a Z-280 mailing list?  I have no
>idea how this is done.  If a moderator is needed, I would volunteer.

This is a good idea and put me on the list, please, if is started.
Thanks in advance.

I've bought a Z280 and I will investigate if my chip is a broken
one. I need a correct chip 'cause I will exchange my old Z80
in my machine to a faster Z280. The Z80 is used as a (slow)
IO processor.
Bye.

	/pekka

[...The Mad Midnight Hacker Strikes Again...]
pekka@majestix.liu.se                     ...!uunet!enea!liuida!majestix!pekka
Pekka Akselin, Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden (The Land Of The Midnight Hacker 8-)

Bus error (core dumped)