[comp.os.cpm] Z180

RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (02/18/88)

Date: 17-FEB-1988 13:12:23.41
From: Ralph Becker-Szendy RALPH AT UHHEPG
To:   0::"info-cpm@simtel20.arpa",RALPH
Subj: Z180 (or maybe 64180)
Question:
>Or is the Z180 not exactly the same as a HD64180?

Answer: the latest Zilog magazine "The last word":

Part-Number   Z80180
Device Name   Z180 8-bit MPU
Description   1MByte Adressing, 2xUARTS, 2xCTC, 2xDMA, Z80 compatible
Speed         8, 10 MHz

Now, the Zilog "Components Literature Order Form":
Part-Number   03-8272-01
Description   Z180/Z64180 Technical Manual
Unit Cost     $12.00

Its amazing how interchangably they use the part number: is it actually
a Z180, a Z80180, or a Z64180 ??? But it is obviously a second source for
the Hitachi CPU.

By the way, in the same naming convention the "interesting" ( <--- my personal
judgement) CPU is called Z280 or Z80280.

By the way, i found Zilog's customer support to be INCREDIBLY BAD ! Obviously
they are not interested in selling their chips (at least to University types
and research projects), because their main market is the military. They are
unpolite, not helpfull, never call back, promise to send literature and samples
and fail to do so, and so son. It was also quite difficult to get "new and hot"
parts from ditributors, which is probably again due to their market
orientation.

Ralph Becker-Szendy                                     RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET
University of Hawaii / High Energy Physics Group              (808)948-7391
Watanabe Hall #203, 2505 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822
"Hawaii - it's not just for tourists. People actually live and work there."

cwwj@ur-tut.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/19/88)

I was surprised to see the Z80180 listed as addressing 1 meg of
memory when the 64180 only does 512k.

pekka@amnesix.liu.se (Pekka Akselin [The Mad Midnight Hacker]) (02/22/88)

In article <8802180219.AA06109@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET writes:
>Part-Number   Z80180
>Device Name   Z180 8-bit MPU
>Description   1MByte Adressing, 2xUARTS, 2xCTC, 2xDMA, Z80 compatible
>Speed         8, 10 MHz

I didn't knew that this part was alive (I know that Hitachi produces the
64180 but not that Zilog does the same as, obviously, second source).

>By the way, i found Zilog's customer support to be INCREDIBLY BAD!

Not my experience! Here in sweden they are very helpfull.
I've got all help I wanted (so far any way).

	/pekka

[...The Mad Midnight Hacker Strikes Again...]
pekka@majestix.liu.se                     ...!uunet!enea!liuida!majestix!pekka
Pekka Akselin, Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden (The Land Of The Midnight Hacker 8-)

Brain error (head dumped)