[comp.os.cpm] Need Information

mattz@killer.UUCP (Matthew Zank) (03/16/88)

Can Some One Tell me Where I Can Bye Modem Software for The
CP/M?
Any infomation will Be Usefull, For some reason I can not Find
Any Modem Software For the CP/M, Can some one in Usenet Land
Help Me?

phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (03/17/88)

In article <3709@killer.UUCP>, mattz@killer.UUCP (Matthew Zank) writes:
> Can Some One Tell me Where I Can Bye Modem Software for The
> CP/M?
> Any infomation will Be Usefull, For some reason I can not Find
> Any Modem Software For the CP/M, Can some one in Usenet Land
> Help Me?

Well, for your best bet is to call you local F.O.G. AMO and they can give you
the information you need probably.  For any new comers to CP/M, you might
consider joining FOG (First Osborne Group).  They're a nation wide CP/M User
Group with AMOs all over the nation.  Phillip
--
Thanks,          Snail Address:  Phillip Keen
Phillip Keen                     2705 Martin

tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) (03/19/88)

From article <805@nuchat.UUCP>, by phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen):

> Well, for your best bet is to call you local F.O.G. AMO and they can give you
> the information you need probably.  For any new comers to CP/M, you might
> consider joining FOG (First Osborne Group).  They're a nation wide CP/M User
> Group with AMOs all over the nation.  Phillip
> --
> Thanks,          Snail Address:  Phillip Keen
> Phillip Keen                     2705 Martin
>                                  Pasadena, TX  77502

Ah this brings up something I was wondering about.

What CP/M clubs still exist?  Magazines that remember CP/M?  How about user
groups?

I can only read pre 1986 issues of DDJ for so long.

While I'm going on like this can you still buy new S-100 cards anywhere or
unconfigured versions of CP/M from DRI or anybody else?  It idly occured
to me that I have a 64K 8085 S-100 machine buried somewhere in the basement
that I could put a floppy controller into and run CP/M on.

Oh one more thing Philip, I don't think I'll turf my 8" drives - new drives
and floppies cost money which I would rather spend elsewhere and reliability
is unimportant at my house.  Besides, I'm a luddite, I don't like 5-1/4
drives.

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    ihnp4!alberta!auvax

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (03/20/88)

In article <569@auvax.UUCP> tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>What CP/M clubs still exist?  Magazines that remember CP/M?  How about user
>groups?

They are very scattered.  Try Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey.
Sorry, I don't have their address or BBS phone number handy.

>I can only read pre 1986 issues of DDJ for so long.

(Sigh) I understand.  There is a magazine that still tries to cover S-100
stuff.  The've recently had to change to include VME and Multibus, but
they are still S-100 hackers.

S-100 Journal
P.O.Box 1914
Orem, Utah  84057

Another good magazine until bought by M&T publishing was Micro-Systems
Journal.  It was the re-incarnation of Microsystems that Zipf-Davis
killed.  Sol Libes did a hell of a good job in starting both, and the
companies that bought them, screwed them up.

>While I'm going on like this can you still buy new S-100 cards anywhere or
>unconfigured versions of CP/M from DRI or anybody else?  It idly occured
>to me that I have a 64K 8085 S-100 machine buried somewhere in the basement
>that I could put a floppy controller into and run CP/M on.

You can still buy new S-100 stuff from a bunch of folks.  Be forewarned:
They don't get any significant business from hackers, so their attitudes,
support, and prices reflect that.  They sell primarily to OEMs for
controller applications.

The following S-100 folks advertised in March issue of Micro/Systems Journal:
Macrotech (80386 CPU), Digital Research Computers (miscellaneous old stuff), and
M&T Publishing (Book: Interfacing to S-100/IEEE 696 Microcomputers).

I can't find my recent S-100 Journal issue.

>Oh one more thing Philip, I don't think I'll turf my 8" drives - new drives
>and floppies cost money which I would rather spend elsewhere and reliability
>is unimportant at my house.  Besides, I'm a luddite, I don't like 5-1/4
>drives.

Amen, keep the 8" faith.

--
Jim Prior    {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!oink!jep    jep@oink.UUCP