[comp.os.cpm] C128 advice

OPTON@uhvax1.uh.EDU (03/23/88)

I have seen a few questions posted asking for opinions on C128 CPM.
We have several C128 machines in the building.  I find them CPM mode
extemely frustrating.  They are agonizingly slow.  The screen updating
is agonizingly slow, and the display itself is very difficult to read.
Forget programming on it.  Forget doing any sort of hardware interfacing.
Support from Commodore?...Heh, heh, tell me another one...
The disk accesses are serial at 19,200 (I think), and so are sloooow.
It used to break frequently.  Try finding a warranty center locally.
A place may advertise Commodore authorized service center, but all that
means is they fix Amigas.  They will be happy to take your money to
TRY to fix the C128. Parts availability?  Forget it.  As I said, a very
frustrating machine.  I refuse to use them personally, and, on my
recommendation, my office does not support them anymore, and strongly
discourages their use, and will not approve their purchase.  Oh, and we were
staunch supporters of the Vic20 and C64.

My recommendations for CPM machines are as follows:

1. Find a dedicated CPM machine, Kaypros, Ampros, and the like.  Visual
Technology made a model 1050 that can be had inexpensively; a couple of hundred
dollars less than the C128 system, and it is a far better machine.  (Email
me if you are interested in the VT1050.  I know where a couple are available).

2.  If you have enough money allocated for a C128 system, forget the C128 and
buy an SB180FX from Steve Ciarcia's company, I forget the name.
He writes for Byte.

3.  There are some software emulators in the public domain for MS-DOS
machines.  They are slow, but obviously the price is a lot cheaper than than a
C128, and they can't be much slower than a C128.

Hope this helps.  If I can be of further help Email me.

Lee Thomison
BITNET: OPTON@UHVAX1
landline: (713) 749-3127

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/24/88)

In article <8803230132.AA01947@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> OPTON@uhvax1.uh.EDU writes:

|3.  There are some software emulators in the public domain for MS-DOS
|machines.  They are slow, but obviously the price is a lot cheaper than than a
|C128, and they can't be much slower than a C128.

There are also some Z-80 64K boards for MSDOS computers for around $250
up.  These run CP/M 2.2 at Z-80 clock speeds of 5 MHz and faster.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (03/24/88)

In article <8803230132.AA01947@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> OPTON@uhvax1.uh.EDU writes
a very emotional article:
> I have seen a few questions posted asking for opinions on C128 CPM.
I have a C128.  I run both native and CPM+ mode frequently.

> We have several C128 machines in the building.  I find them CPM mode
> extemely frustrating.  They are agonizingly slow.
For $20 I received a 2"-thick manual and two more disks.  The system is
complete and well documented.  Do you have this manual?

>                                                    The screen updating
> is agonizingly slow, and the display itself is very difficult to read.
Yes, I'll admit the screen is slow, but agonizingly?  I wish there were
a way to speed it up.  Maybe the Z80A can be substituted by a faster Z80?
As for the letter quality, I don't find the 8x8 dot
matrix all that bad.  Try adjusting the color or intensity.

> Forget programming on it.  Forget doing any sort of hardware interfacing.
Excuse me, I've had no problems programming a CPM system with complete
BIOS-- I run VDE and MAC just like anybody else.  SID is available with
lots of doc.  Higher languages are available from SIMTEL20 or RPICICGE.

> Support from Commodore?...Heh, heh, tell me another one...
No problems here either.  I get help from comp.sys.cbm (mostly Frank
Prindle).  Commodore has helped me when I've needed it...

> The disk accesses are serial at 19,200 (I think), and so are sloooow.
Actually the speed is closer to 5 to 6 times that.  If you really want
a fast system, the 512k RAM expansion is about $160.  Use it as the
system drive M: and SETDEF M:,*.  The 1581 3.5" drive is available for a
little more, and is of course faster than a 1571.

> It used to break frequently.  Try finding a warranty center locally.
I have had a C64 since Jan '84 and a C128 since Oct '86.  ONCE I had
to have my 1541 repaired.  I had no trouble finding help in Milwaukee.
Mayfair Computers even does warranty repairs!

>                    Parts availability?  Forget it.
Try writing to comp.sys.cbm, will ya?  I've read articles advertizing
for video expansion RAMs, C128 and 1571 bugfix ROMs.  In any issue of
Commodore's or Compute!'s magazines for C128/64s, there are more ads
for hardware.

>                                                    As I said, a very
> frustrating machine.  I refuse to use them personally, and, on my
> recommendation, my office does not support them anymore, and strongly
> discourages their use, and will not approve their purchase.  Oh, and we were
> staunch supporters of the Vic20 and C64.
Every once in a while I hear someone take a personal vendetta against
Commodore, ragging about everything they do.  At least TRY to be objective.
These people hang out in dealer stores and ravage about everything Commodore
does.  I swear some of these people must secretly work for Atari...:-)

> My recommendations for CPM machines are as follows:
> 1. Find a dedicated CPM machine, Kaypros, Ampros, and the like.
I would have missed out on C128 native mode and C64-mode (for games ;-))
if I did that.  That's a lot of software.

> Hope this helps.  If I can be of further help Email me.

                                            Thanx a lot!
                                            Dennis Flaherty
dennisf%marque@csd1.milw.wisc.edu           Marquette University
3790FLAH@MUCSD.BITNET               USNail: 826 N. 20th St.
dennisf@marque.mu.edu                       Milwaukee, WI 53233
{uunet|uwvax}!marque!dennisf
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three left turns do!"