[comp.os.cpm] info for appliance controller needed

ca029@unocss.UUCP (Jon Scheer) (02/29/88)

Hi.

   I just bought an Appliance & Light Controller (for Color Computer) at
the local RS (clearance sale).  Well, I've got a Model 4.  So the software
that is supplied with the controller won't do me a dingo's kidneys worth
of good.  But I should be able to make it work with the hardware that I
have (shouldn't I??)  The controller plugs into the cassette port on a CC
and I have one of the old 4's that has a cassette port.  So, in theory,
I should be able to plug it into the 4.

   But, I don't know what sort of signals the controller expects.  Is
there anybody out there who has played with the/a controller?  Any idea
where I might be able to find out more about it??

   Thanks in advance (:-)

Jon Scheer
...!{ihnp4|codas|akgua|cbosgd}!ohgua!ugn!unocss!ca029

OPTON@UHVAX1.UH.EDU (03/24/88)

> From: ihnp4!upba!unocss!ca029@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Jon Scheer)
> Subject: Info For Appliance Controller Needed

>    I just bought an Appliance & Light Controller (for Color Computer) at
> the local RS (clearance sale).  Well, I've got a Model 4.  So the software
> that is supplied with the controller won't do me a dingo's kidneys worth
> of good.  But I should be able to make it work with the hardware that I
> have (shouldn't I??)  The controller plugs into the cassette port on a CC
> and I have one of the old 4's that has a cassette port.  So, in theory,
> I should be able to plug it into the 4.

>   But, I don't know what sort of signals the controller expects.  Is
> there anybody out there who has played with the/a controller?  Any idea
> where I might be able to find out more about it??
------------------------------
If your appliance decoder is the same as the one I bought from Radio Schack,
it  is simply a BSR X-10 controller with Radio Shack's name on it.  I bought
mine on  clearance sale a year ago.  There are adapter cables available to run
off of RS-232 ports.  In addition, there is a programming guide available.  I
got my RS232 cable and programming guide from DAK when I ordered
another controller from them.  If you will send me a US mail address, I will
send you a copy of the programming manual, if I can find it.  I will also
Email you the pinouts for an RS232 cable when I find the manual.  You might
also contact DAK and see if they will sell you an RS-232 cable and manual, in
case I can't find mine.  (Hmmm, come to think of it, I may contact them to
see if I can get a cable and software for my Mac...).

Please write back soon, as I am never certain about these internet mailings.

Lee Thomison
BITNET:OPTON@UHVAX1
landline: (713) 749-3127