[comp.os.cpm] C128

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (03/09/88)

-------

killer!bobc@eddie.mit.edu  (Bob Calbridge) writes:

>   However, no matter which disk, brand or density, I
>use eventually one or two files get corrupted on the A:drive.  I can copy
>a new file over the bad one and it will run for a few sessions and then
>the corruption occurs again.  Often the same files get corrupted but
>just as often different files get hit.  Too often the file is "submit.com".
>Has anyone else experienced problems like this with their drives?

	*this is NOT a flame!*
Thanks for bringing this up.  It reached me just in time, as i'd been
considering getting a C128 as a cheap spare CP/M engine.  From the data
you've provided, i have to wonder whether you are running anything that
requires bank switching?  Is that when the files show up corrupted?

I think i'll forgo the 128 and put a little more money into a machine
actually made to do the job.
			[dale]
-------

figueroa@oodis01.ARPA (Andrew Figueroa) (03/15/88)

Re:  Corrupted files in C-128 CP/M.

I have never had a corrupted file using two disk drives and Commodore's
version of CP/M +.  It is a terrific little CP/M "engine" and runs C-64 and
C-128 native mode software which is generally good and universally
innexpensive.

I'm just a user - a happy one - and that is the only disclaimer needed.

Andy Figueroa aka "figueroa@lognet2.arpa"

rcarter@WSMR02.ARPA (Raymond Carter STEWS-NR-AS 678-3348) (03/29/88)

I'd like to put some of the comments about the C128 in perspective
here, if I may.

First, I don't believe anyone ever claimed it was the world's best and
fastest CP/M machine, although I find it quite nice with the 512K
ram disk.  Also, by using the CONF utility it is possible to speed
up system operations by about 35% - puts the effective Z80 rate at
about 2.3 MHZ.

Second, I do claim that it is one of the most versatile computers on the
market.  It runs two of the largest bases of software available - C64,
and CP/M - without any additional investment.

It also does some pretty reasonable graphics.  The builtin software
supports 320 by 200 color graphics.  I have recently seen a package
called BASIC 8 which does really nice 3D 640x200 graphics.

All the sound and graphics capabilities are available from within
CP/M.  I have built a CP/M COMAL graphics package which supports
720x240 graphics on the RGB screen.  Not many other CP/M machines
will do that!

To sum up - it may not be the ultimate CP/M computer, but is an extremely
versatile computer, with MUCH good software available.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/31/88)

in article <8803281907.AA08437@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, rcarter@WSMR02.ARPA (Raymond Carter  STEWS-NR-AS 678-3348) says:

> First, I don't believe anyone ever claimed it was the world's best and
> fastest CP/M machine,

Absolutely correct!  The C128 was designed primarily as a followup to the
C64, pretty much in the traditional Commdore computer mold going all the
way back to the PET 2001.  At that, I believe we succeeded, as even
discounting the Z-80 operation, the C128 is the most powerful machine in
that lineage.

The CP/M option was seen as a very low cost way to add a very big pile of
software that'd run on the C128.  Business and 80 column stuff in particular,
since when it was introduced, there was no native mode software to take
advantage of the 80 column display, other than the built-in BASIC.

> Also, by using the CONF utility it is possible to speed
> up system operations by about 35% - puts the effective Z80 rate at
> about 2.3 MHZ.

What that does is shut off the VIC display, which eats into the system
bandwidth a bit.

> It also does some pretty reasonable graphics.  The builtin software
> supports 320 by 200 color graphics.  I have recently seen a package
> called BASIC 8 which does really nice 3D 640x200 graphics.

A few commerical packages also drive it in the 640x400 interlaced text
mode, and a few people have recently found a way to get bitmapped graphics
working in the 640x400 interlaced mode.

> To sum up - it may not be the ultimate CP/M computer, but is an extremely
> versatile computer, with MUCH good software available.

For a CP/M user who's expecting to run at speeds comparable with today's
AT style MS-DOS machines, the C128's CP/M will probably be too slow.  You'd
be better off buying some machine with a hot Z-80 (6Mhz-8MHz) and a fast
hard disk drive.  However, for CP/M compatiblity along with the ability to
run all those C64 games and educational programs, much faster C128 native
mode 80 column software (a 2.04MHz 8502 is roughly equivalent to a 6-8MHz
Z-80), than I think a C128 is an excellent computer.

And I'm not just saying that because I helped design it.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy