[comp.os.cpm] Help with Xerox 820-1

leadfoot%leftlane@Sun.COM (04/26/88)

He just got an 820-1 with two 8-inch drives, but it doesn't seem to be
able to format or use double density disks.  He didn't get an 820 docs,
he found a format program, but it erased the wrong disk.  Any ideas on the
disk formats and format programs?

mlinar@eve.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (04/26/88)

In article <50794@sun.uucp> leadfoot@sun.UUCP () writes:
>He just got an 820-1 with two 8-inch drives, but it doesn't seem to be
>able to format or use double density disks.  He didn't get an 820 docs,
>he found a format program, but it erased the wrong disk.  Any ideas on the
>disk formats and format programs?

I'll say you have a problem!  Simply put, the generic 820-I does *not* read
or write double density.  However, there are some after-market add-on cards
that support it.  Two I know of are: SWP double-density card from somewhere
in Texas that supports EITHER 5.25 or 8" with no mods to your system; Emerald
Microware Plus2 double-density which supports 8" and 5.25, but requires some
mods to the board.

Emerald also has operating systems, BIOSes, formatters, and sysgens for the
820, but I do not know current prices for any of this stuff.

If you need a number to either of these places, let me know.  I can scare
them up since I have both the SWP and Plus2 package.  Single density is just
no fun anymore! :-)

-Mitch

kurt@splut.UUCP (Kurt Freiberger) (05/02/88)

     I have some 8" disks for X820-1.  In it, there is IMP for Xerox, and
two flavors of format programs.  I doubt that they will format DSDD.  As
far as I know, the 820-1 could only do SSSD, but there is a BIOS that will
use the nether sides of A: and B: as C: and D: respectively.  Send me a
mailer with about 3-4 disketes and I can send you what I have.  I also
have BIOS's for the beast which include hard disk support.  These are
from the KX4I (?) implementation of the W0RLI PBBS.

Send the disks to:
     Kurt Freiberger
     c/o Data General Service, Inc.
     7676 Hillmont #240