[comp.os.cpm] Transition from CP/M to MS-DOS

gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (08/23/88)

> In article <1399@ektools.UUCP> jmoore@ektools.UUCP (James Hugh Moore) writes:
>>the features of the Perfect series, do Z80 boards, and CP/M (or ZCPR) exist
>>for the 286 or 386 machines?.  I am seriously short of knowledge in the
>>IBM PC area, and I am looking for a good inexpensive machine.   I am also
>>looking for conversion software, and good PD or inexpensive software

I run a Fergusson Big Board CP/M system as well as an Atari 1040 ST at home.
I recently downloaded a Z80 CP/M emulator for the ST from an arpanet host.
It works with everything I've tried so far (Wordstar, DBASE II) and the
emulation speed is not too bad. The documentation is not perfect, however and
it took me a few tries to figure out that it acts like a H/Z 89 terminal.

Transferring files is a bit of a pain -- I use mdm712 on the BB side and
Uniterm (the absolutely greatest piece of PD software I've ever seen) on the
ST side. Then you have to go through a conversion process to convert the Atari
TOS files to CP/M format. I haven't come to a complete conclusion, but I may
someday accede to my wife's request to free up the table-space now taken up
by the Big Board.

Oh, yeah, the ST is a nice computer in its own right, too. There is quite a
bit of stuff for it, I personally know of software/hardware emulation packages
available which make it do
	CP/M
	IBM PC (sort of slow)
	Apple Macintosh (faster than the real thing and with a bigger screen!)

--
    UUCP:   ...{umix,mit-eddie,uw-beaver}!apollo!gaz
    ARPA:   gaz@apollo.COM