[comp.os.cpm] North Star Woes

SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU (11/20/88)

I'm the lucky owner of a really nifty-swifty 64K 2-floppy North
Star Horizon, acquired second-hand with virtually no
documentation.  It runs North Star CP.M 2.2.  Anyways, I've been
downloading lots of CP/M PD stuff from SIMTEL20 and local BBSes,
but recently much of it doesn't work.  I use a strange setup to
acquire the programs, so that may be at fault...  I use my Amiga
1000 as my download and BBS-hopping computer (among other things)
and then upload from the Amiga to the North Star using a 9600BPS
null-modem hookup.  I use a good, reliable comm program on the
Amiga, and MEX v 114 on the North Star.  The XMODEM transfers
from Amiga to NS all work just fine.  (XMODEM CRC, of course)
Anyways, when I go to use the un-LBR'd COM files, the North Star
just gronks the primary (logged-in) drive for a few seconds and
then reports             NO SPACE
    Neat, eh?  I thought the problem was some BIOS modifications
I made, but the problem persists even when I boot from a nearly-
virgin system disk (free of my hacking).

So, I'm open to suggestions.  Should I try re-shipping the files
to the NS?  Look at possible hardware problems?  Pray to whatever
formless demons control CP/M bugs?

                                        >JS<
John L. Schuncke, JR.  MILNET: SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISIE.EDU
Disclaimer: The above opinions do not IN ANY WAY reflect the
opinions of my employer.  My employer thinks I don't even HAVE
opinions.

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (11/23/88)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU]19-Nov-88.10:44:09.SAC.CCSO-OLA> SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU writes:
>I'm the lucky owner of a really nifty-swifty 64K 2-floppy North
>Star Horizon, acquired second-hand with virtually no
>documentation.  It runs North Star CP.M 2.2.
> [....]
>Anyways, when I go to use the un-LBR'd COM files, the North Star
>just gronks the primary (logged-in) drive for a few seconds and
>then reports             NO SPACE
>    Neat, eh?  I thought the problem was some BIOS modifications
>I made, but the problem persists even when I boot from a nearly-
>virgin system disk (free of my hacking).
>
>So, I'm open to suggestions.  Should I try re-shipping the files
>to the NS?  Look at possible hardware problems?  Pray to whatever
>formless demons control CP/M bugs?

That wonderful, verbose NO SPACE message is printed by the CP/M
program loader when it runs out of TPA for an executable.  In other
words, you don't have enough RAM to run whatever programs you are
trying to run.

As I recall, the North Star didn't use the standard memory
organization for CP/M (TPA started at 0x100, CCP/BDOS/BIOS at top of
memory is the standard).  If your arrangement is different, you will
have to relocate the binaries before they will run in a different
configuration.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.