[net.music] Yngwie Malmsteen

sgs@mgweed.UUCP (Scott Snider) (10/01/85)

Can anyone shed some light on a fantastic new gutarist that I recently heard?
This guy is fantastic and is destined to become a bright new talent of the
future.  I recently bought his first of two albums he has out ( the title
escapes me now) and couldn't believe my ears.  Where does he come from?
How long has he been playing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.
                        S.G.Snider  (AT&T IS Montgomery,IL.)

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (10/03/85)

> Can anyone shed some light on a fantastic new gutarist that I recently heard?
> This guy is fantastic and is destined to become a bright new talent of the
> future.  I recently bought his first of two albums he has out ( the title
> escapes me now) and couldn't believe my ears.  Where does he come from?
> How long has he been playing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in
> advance.
>                         S.G.Snider  (AT&T IS Montgomery,IL.)

Yngwie has been around for a few years.  I first heard him when he played
with a band called Alcatraz.  The band wasn't all that good but Malmsteen
shined through.  He's now gone solo but I haven't heard his album "Rising
Force" yet, I presume that's the one you just bought.  Musician or Guitar
Player or one of those mags featured Yngwie on their cover along with a
full feature interview a while back.  Sorry I can't remember anything more
then that except they were pretty high on him.  After listening to him play
I can see why.

						Joe Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (10/04/85)

> Can anyone shed some light on a fantastic new gutarist that I recently heard?
> This guy is fantastic and is destined to become a bright new talent of the
> future.  I recently bought his first of two albums he has out ( the title
> escapes me now) and couldn't believe my ears.  Where does he come from?
> How long has he been playing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in
> advance.
>                         S.G.Snider  (AT&T IS Montgomery,IL.)

He is now is a band called Rising Force.  He used to be in a group called
Alcatraz.  He plays a classical style of guitar adapted to Heavy Metal.

--

                         --Kevin Chu
                         ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/05/85)

Distribution:net

In article <20721@mgweed.UUCP> sgs@mgweed.UUCP (Scott Snider) writes:
>Can anyone shed some light on a fantastic new gutarist that I recently heard?
>This guy is fantastic and is destined to become a bright new talent of the
>future.  I recently bought his first of two albums he has out ( the title
>escapes me now) and couldn't believe my ears.  Where does he come from?
>How long has he been playing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in
>advance.
>                        S.G.Snider  (AT&T IS Montgomery,IL.)

I don't know much about Yngwie but I do know that he was in one of the "new
wave" of heavy metal bands until about a year ago. (It was either Ratt or Krokusor someone of that genre) He's only about 24 and I know if you look in back
issues of Guitar Player or Guitar World magazines there are articles on him.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

I'm outside right now...do you know where your children are ? (snicker)

mem@bubba.UUCP (10/17/85)

> Can anyone shed some light on a fantastic new gutarist that I recently heard?
> This guy is fantastic and is destined to become a bright new talent of the
> future.  I recently bought his first of two albums he has out ( the title
> escapes me now) and couldn't believe my ears.  Where does he come from?
> How long has he been playing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks in
> advance.
>                         S.G.Snider  (AT&T IS Montgomery,IL.)

I just saw Yngwie warm up for AC/DC, and this was the best concert that
I've seen in a long time!  There is a short article on Yngwie in this
month's SPIN magazine.  As much as I enjoyed his performance, I almost
wish I hadn't read the article.  It sounded like the guy was really
stuck on himself.  This is not to take away from his stage shoe, however.
It doesn't do much for his image.  I mean, usually, heavy metal performers
are partiers (sp), but this guy seemed like a recluse.  Anyway, he's from
Sweden, and he says he's been playing guitar since he was ten years old.
I don't know much about his albums, except there are a couple.  Also, the
guy thinks Bach is the best.  He says he doesn't listen to other bands,
but was influenced by Jimi Hendrix and Deep Purple when he was youger.

If you get a chance to see him on his tour, and you like loud music, I
suggest you go for it!  But, beware, if AC/DC is playing with him, take
some ear plugs.  They fire off these cannons at the end of the show which
are absolutely deafening.  Oh, yeah - AC/DC was great too.  They played
a good mix of older and newer songs, and really had the crowd going!

--

M.E. Middleton
COSI Texas, Inc.

uucp: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!cositex!bubba!mem
at&t: (512) 345-2780