[comp.os.cpm] Need TCP/IP for CP/M

Srodawa@VMS.SECS.OAKLAND.EDU (12/06/88)

Is there any support for the TCP/IP family of protocols for CP/M?  I
would like a program or programs which support FTP, TELNET, and SMTP
which speak TCP/IP using SLIP over an asynchronous line.  I already
have a similar PD package for MSDOS, but that doesn't help me at home.
My home system is a Commodore 128 running under CP/M.  I'm using my
own modified BIOS which gets around the Pet-AScii ridiculousness.  I
did this before CONF became available.

Ron.

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/07/88)

Unless you have more than 500k bytes on your CP/M system, I don't see how
you can run TCP/IP.  You need more than 64k just to keep track of addresses.

Now if someone could prove me wrong by presenting a working version, I would
be suitably amazed.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET:(Real Soon Now)   Amiga Hacker   PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

budden@tetra.NOSC.MIL (Rex A. Buddenberg) (12/08/88)

Agree with Joe Smith that TCP/IP just won't quite fit into CPM.
Also, it is rather unwieldy if you don't have a multi-tasking
operating system.  The MS-DOS implementations suffer in this
regard and some (KA9Q, in particular) end up phonying up the
multi-tasking in the program, thereby making up for OS deficiencies.
There goes a bunch more RAM space in your already blivetted-out
CPM system.

However...We've done quite a bit of standardization work with
fault tolerant, survivable LANs suitable for ships (and now have
SAFENET spec'ed for a new class of buoy tenders...).  One of
the problems we've discovered is that TCP/IP (and TP4/CLNP too,
for that matter) are too clumsy and slow for the tactical things
we need to do in Coast Guard cutters and Navy ships.  So we've
cast about for other protocols.  The most promising is called
eXpress Transfer Protocol from an outfit called Protocol
Engines Inc.  They have done a lot of work on slimming down
the protocol itself (cutting the 9 packets necessary to run a
3-way handshake and transfer a single packet of info down
to 3 packets).  And the implementation is deliberately designed
to be cast into silicon (which you just can't do with TCP/IP).
Last I heard, they were talking about a 5-chip realization.
In a couple years -- they are still working on it.

Consider hanging a daughterboard off your CPM engine with a
protocol engine on it.  Plug into a network and you're off.

Warning: certain amount of vapor left in this.  PEI is definitely
serious, but they aren't pouring silicon yet.

Rex Buddenberg

milazzo@bbn.com (Paul Milazzo) (12/08/88)

Many readers believe TCP/IP is simply too big for the CP/M environment;
in fact, small implementations fit.  In mid-1986, I ported Geoffrey
Cooper's TINYTCP to CP/M, fixing a number of protocol errors in the
process.  TINYTCP has a trivial IP layer, and a retransmission policy
that can only be described as mindless, but it seems to work.  It is
written entirely in C.

I never bothered to implement a SLIP interface, but applications can
talk to each other through the loopback interface.  A .COM file
containing:

    - TCP/IP,
    - the loopback driver,
    - two trivial test applications that exchange TCP segments, and
    - a packet trace printer,

compiled with the Z80 version of Aztec C 1.06D, is 18048 bytes long.

				Paul Milazzo <milazzo@bbn.com>
				BBN Laboratories
				Cambridge, MA

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (12/12/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12452062195.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> Srodawa@VMS.SECS.OAKLAND.EDU writes:
>Is there any support for the TCP/IP family of protocols for CP/M?  I
>would like a program or programs which support FTP, TELNET, and SMTP
>which speak TCP/IP using SLIP over an asynchronous line.  I already
>have a similar PD package for MSDOS, but that doesn't help me at home.
>My home system is a Commodore 128 running under CP/M.  I'm using my
>own modified BIOS which gets around the Pet-AScii ridiculousness.  I
>did this before CONF became available.
>
>Ron.

I have seen (and have) a copy of a packet radio package for the Xerox 820-I
written in 8080 assembler intended for compilation under CP/M.  I do not
remember much about it; I would assume that the Royal Oak BBS would have a
more up-to-date copy.  I also know that several people have ported XINU to
CP/M systems and have seen discussion of Comer's second book on netoworks
that I assume uses XINU as the OS.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu