[comp.os.cpm] Redirection of printer output

CCCRAIG@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Craig Pepmiller") (01/04/89)

My father works with a Kaypro 10 and a Kaypro II.  He is trying to capture
output that would normally be sent to the printer (serial port) to a disk file.
Can this be done in CPM?  Can anyone tell me the command sequence or utility to
do it?

Thanks,

Craig Pepmiller

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (01/05/89)

In article <8901032051.AA04368@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CCCRAIG@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Craig Pepmiller") writes:
>My father works with a Kaypro 10 and a Kaypro II.  He is trying to capture
>output that would normally be sent to the printer (serial port) to a disk file.
>Can this be done in CPM?  Can anyone tell me the command sequence or utility to
>do it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Craig Pepmiller

The suggestions I have seen so far don't hack it.  PIP will redirect INPUT,
maybe (on a lucky day, anyway), but he wants to redirect OUTPUT.

I suppose he could hook his K10 up to his KII and use a terminal program
on the recieving Kaypro to capture the data.

I seem to recall someone posting or commmenting about a program that would
do what Craig is asking for, but it MAY have been for IBM-PC style systems
(sorry).  Was there such a posting HERE, or was I dreaming?  Can anyone
REALLY help craig?

-----
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075x681 \  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

andrew@frip.gwd.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) (01/05/89)

	"My father works with a Kaypro 10 and a Kaypro II.  He is
	trying to capture output that would normally be sent to the
	printer (serial port) to a disk file.  Can this be done in CPM?
	Can anyone tell me the command sequence or utility to do it?"

There is no standard way to do this.  It wouldn't be hard to write a
utility to do it; the utility would shuffle itself to high memory and
load the application (like DDT), capture the BDOS "print character"
vector, and buffer and write a disk file.

[The contributor who suggested PIP has apparently confused
printer->disk with disk->printer.]

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!hammer!frip!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.gwd.tek.com@relay.cs.net)  [ARPA]

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (01/06/89)

From article <10816@tekecs.TEK.COM>, by andrew@frip.gwd.tek.com (Andrew Klossner):
" ...
" [The contributor who suggested PIP has apparently confused
" printer->disk with disk->printer.]

Well, there is some confusion, anyhow.  I thought the original posting
concerned redirecting stuff coming from the serial port.  If it was
stuff going to the serial port instead, what I said about PIP is
not relevant.  By the way, the Unix-like shell that was once marketed
by New Directions allows this other type of redirection, also.  It's
a real nice program.
			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (01/07/89)

In article <5967@cadnetix.COM> rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) writes:
>>My father works with a Kaypro 10 and a Kaypro II.  He is trying to capture
>>output that would normally be sent to the printer serial port to a disk file.
>
>I seem to recall someone posting or commmenting about a program that would
>do what Craig is asking for, but it MAY have been for IBM-PC style systems
>(sorry).  Was there such a posting HERE, or was I dreaming?  Can anyone
>REALLY help craig?

It was here.

There was a program (called IOCAP) I saw some time ago that captured console
I/O and shunted it to a file. It was out of the CPMUG disks. I just took a
look through a printout of the SIMTEL20 archives, and found:
	kaypro/iocapkp.lbr
which might be the same thing. Unfortunately, my tape of the archives is at
another site and I don't have access to it (Jon, could you e-mail me a copy
of said .LBR file if convenient?), so I can't verify that it is this same
program.

If it is, it shouldn't be difficult to modify to capture printer output
instead - as long as the utility in question uses the LST: (PRN:?) device
and not direct port i/o.

I've thought such a utility would be handy at times.

--
William Swan	..!tikal.Teltone.COM!sigma!bill

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (01/16/89)

In article <> andrew@frip.gwd.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>	"My father works with a Kaypro 10 and a Kaypro II.  He is
>	trying to capture output that would normally be sent to the
>	printer (serial port) to a disk file.  Can this be done in CPM?
>	Can anyone tell me the command sequence or utility to do it?"
>
>There is no standard way to do this.  It wouldn't be hard to write a
>utility to do it; the utility would shuffle itself to high memory and
>load the application (like DDT), capture the BDOS "print character"
>vector, and buffer and write a disk file.
>
>[The contributor who suggested PIP has apparently confused
>printer->disk with disk->printer.]
>
>  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!hammer!frip!andrew)    [UUCP]
>                        (andrew%frip.gwd.tek.com@relay.cs.net)  [ARPA]

On the chance that he is having to repeat my efforts with wordstar, I had
to write a serial printer driver for Wordstar 3.01 years ago...  If he needs
it (to crib code from if nothing else) I'll be happy to send it to him.
It sits in the patch space, and opens a file and then procedds to dump all
printer output to it.  When the printer is done, the file is closed, all
neat and pretty.  One of the projects on the stack is to hack my BIOS to
implement another redirection target (UL1: or something) to be a modification
of that old patch - to some file like OUT.OUT, which would then be renamed.

Or something.

Lastly, one kludge that I used one time was a serial print buffer, with the
output stalled with a ^S.  I dumped the file into it, then ran the
modem program, after it was up I started the capture function, swapped
ports on the buffer, and a ^Q sucked the file in.  It worked, but it took
a couple of tries and a breakout box to do it.

#Include disclaimer.standard
#Include quote.cute

The opinions above probably do not even come close to those of my employer(s).

   Mike Morris .............morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov  ..... WA6ILQ
   P.O. Box 1130
   Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130