[comp.os.cpm] Amstrad Disks

SAGE@LL.ARPA (01/27/89)

Local addressee: SAGE

A short while back someone asked about the capacity of diskettes on the
Amstrad computer.  I have a PCW512 with one single-sided double-density
drive and one double-sided quad-density drive.  Diskettes formatted for the
former hold 173K (and both sides can be used, giving a total of 346K on the
physical diskette).  This morning, when I made these measurements, I could
not find an empty quad diskette.  A quick estimate (formed by trying --
after only three hours' sleep last night and without a calculator -- to add
the space free to the space occupied in several user areas as shown by SDZ)
gave a value of just over 700K.  One would expect roughly 2 x 346 = 692, but
there is some additional space as a result of fewer system tracks.  If the
person asking this question needs an exact figure, I would be happy to make
a more careful measurement.

-- Jay Sage