[comp.os.cpm] Adding a hard disk to your system

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (01/30/89)

If anyone is contemplating adding an inexpensive hard disk to a floppy
only CP/M system, they might want to consider the following. A company
by the name of Advanced Concepts in Boca Raton, FL, provides a very
good solution. All you have to do with one of their systems, is pull
the Z80 out of your system, insert their daughterboard into the socket
where it came from, and put the Z80 back in a socket on the daughter
board. Then an installation program is provided that places a boot
image on the hard disk, and you are all set. Your system boots
initially from floppy, then by running the hard disk install program,
the hard disk is brought on line. I have recently installed their
system into my Televideo 803, and I can say the hardest part was
opening the system to pull out the Z80. It is worth noting that if
there is not enough space to take the daughter board inside, extension
cables are available, so that the board can be placed outside your
system enclosure.

Their address is:

Advanced Concepts
8926 South West 17th St.
Boca Raton, FL
33433

+1 (407) 482-7302

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Advanced Concepts, I am just a
satisfied customer.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (02/02/89)

In article <404@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>If anyone is contemplating adding an inexpensive hard disk to a floppy
>only CP/M system, they might want to consider the following.
>[..daughterboard into the Z80 socket...]

I have seen systems like this before, years ago when I worked for a
CP/M manufacturer. The ones I saw worked pretty well (and this was
on a machine with just about the worst digital system ground you can
imagine - although a lot of Z80 designs seemed to attract similar
layout flaws).

One question, though:  What does it cost?

--
William Swan	..!tikal.Teltone.COM!sigma!bill
#  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (02/04/89)

From article <2101@sigma.UUCP>, by bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan):
> In article <404@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>>If anyone is contemplating adding an inexpensive hard disk to a floppy
>>only CP/M system, they might want to consider the following.
>>[..daughterboard into the Z80 socket...]
>
> One question, though:  What does it cost?

I bought just the controller card and cables and software for about $200
If you add a hard disk, a powersupply and enclosure, I'd guess that the
cost would rise to no more than $500, possibly less. I don't actually
know, because I wasn't interested in a PSU or a disk (I already had both).
I'd say give them a call, or write. If you DO phone, don't be put off if
it sounds like a private residence, it's a small company, and I think
they don't have a proper switchboard operator. Whoever can get it answers
the phone.
--

mlinar@caesar.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (02/04/89)

In article <404@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>If anyone is contemplating adding an inexpensive hard disk to a floppy
>only CP/M system, they might want to consider the following. A company
>by the name of Advanced Concepts in Boca Raton, FL, provides a very
>good solution. All you have to do with one of their systems, is pull
>the Z80 out of your system, insert their daughterboard into the socket
>where it came from, and put the Z80 back in a socket on the daughter
>board. Then an installation program is provided that places a boot

Another company has been selling a similar system for about 3 or 4
years now.  Emerald Microware in Oregon at (503) 641-0347.  Same deal
with a Z80 host card and connected to WD card.  Runs up to 2 64M
hard drives off a single card.  I don't remember the cost; in particular,
the hard drive card side (not host adapter) varies depending on
availability.

-Mitch