[comp.os.cpm] NorthStar Bios

SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU (02/13/89)

Is it me, or does the standard N* CP/M BIOS not support IOBYTE
redirection?  I'm in the process of disassembling CPMGEN, and
therefore the system image in it.  Anyways, it seems that the
low-level routines doesn't give a rat's fuzzy behind about the
IOBYTE.  So, I guess I'll rework it.
	  >JS<
John Schuncke SSgt, USAF
CCSO/OL-A Offutt AFB, NE

SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU    <== for now
MAC_CCSOOLA@SACEMNET.ARPA <== maybe someday

Disclaimer: My employer doesn't even know I'm doing this.

SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU (02/14/89)

	Actually, I'd like a full listing of the BIOS and BDOS
source.  And I inherited the system with no distribution disks
and very little documentation.  Such is life; I'll make do.
	In fact, I'm a little unsure of the pedigree of my copy of
CP/M.  I understand that both N* and Lifeboat Associates offered
versions of CP/M.  Everything on the surface indicates that my
CP/M is from N*, but a great deal of the internals if it that
I've seen so far looks like the Lifeboat CP/M stuff I've seen.
For instance, the user area looks the same, except in a different
location if the SYSGEN image (Actually, the SYSGEN image resides
at a different address at SYSGEN load time, I think.)
	Ah, the mysteries of it all.
	Thanks for your help and interest!!
			>JS<
John L. Schuncke, Jr.
SSgt, USAF   CCSO/OL-A  Offutt AFB, NE
Address #1: SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU  until we lose our lease
Address #2: MAC_CCSOOLA@SACEMNET    when they get it running
	And let's hope #2 happens before #1!

Disclaimer:  My boss doesn't know I'm doing this;
	It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU (02/14/89)

	Thanx for the guidance on PD2:<CPM.NSTAR>.  I've found
a file there called NSUSER5Z.AQM which, when unsqueezed,
appears to be a N* Bios USER area which supports some pretty
sophisticated IOBYTE redirection.  Good catch, eh?
	It looks to be what I'm looking for, when
I install it.
SAC.CCSO-OLA@E.ISI.EDU

dgee@cup.portal.com (David O Goodman) (02/14/89)

In article <[E.ISI.EDU]12-Feb-89.13:31:47.SAC.CCSO-OLA> John Schuncke writes:
> Is it me, or does the standard N* CP/M BIOS not support IOBYTE
> redirection?  I'm in the process of disassembling CPMGEN, and
> therefore the system image in it.  Anyways, it seems that the
> low-level routines doesn't give a rat's fuzzy behind about the
> IOBYTE.  ...

You are correct.  The N* bios does not support the IOBYTE.

I've tried every variation of your address I can think of in many
vain attempts to reach you, but all mail bounces.  Several other
N* people on the net with whom I'm in contact have also been unable
to get mail to you.

Can you supply a path from some major site?  There is a lot of N*
information/support available if we can talk to you.

--

Dave Goodman
dgee@cup.portal.com