[comp.os.cpm] Spelling checker routines

S1CH@SDSUMUS.BITNET (Brian Piersel) (04/25/89)

I'm considering writing a spelling checker for myself, but I am
wondering about one thing. Checking to see if a word is spelled
correctly (based on the dictionary) seems fairly simple, but I
also would like to have it suggest correct spellings for misspelled
words. Does anyone know of a good way to do that? I don't need
the actual code, just the basic steps to follow (pseudo-code,
that kind of stuff...). Thanks in advance.

 ------------------------------
 Brian Piersel
 BITNET:    S1CH@SDSUMUS
 INTERNET:  S1CH@SDSUMUS.BITNET

 "If winning is not important, why keep score?"

andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) (04/28/89)

[]

	"Checking to see if a word is spelled correctly (based on the
	dictionary) seems fairly simple, but I also would like to have
	it suggest correct spellings for misspelled words. Does anyone
	know of a good way to do that?"

The approach used in the spelling corrector component of the Unica(tm)
utility set was to look through a (separate) dictionary of commonly
misspelled words, which includes the correct spelling:

	mispell:misspell
	seperate:separate

etc.  Any hit is an unconditional misspelling, and the utility suggests
the replacement word to the user.

When other processing finds a misspelled word (a word isn't in the
dictionary, it asks the user if it's right, the user says no), then it
asks for a replacement and adds an entry to the misspelled-word
dictionary.  After a few weeks, the user's commonly misspelled words
are pretty much all in there.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (05/03/89)

In article <11348@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM>, andrew@frip.wv.tek.com (Andrew Klossner) writes:

> The approach used in the spelling corrector component of the Unica(tm)
> utility set was to look through a (separate) dictionary of commonly
> misspelled words, which includes the correct spelling:

Another approach (if you are really enthusiastic) is to generate the
soundex code for the word to look up and use this to access a copy
of the dictionary.

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>