[comp.os.cpm] Footnoting using WordStar

"Terry_V._Reed.ESCP8"@XEROX.COM (05/24/89)

Is there a feature in WordStar to do footnotes?   If not in WordStar then
perhaps a post-process program?

Thanks
Terry

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/30/89)

In article <890524-165543-10438@Xerox> "Terry_V._Reed.ESCP8"@XEROX.COM writes:
|Is there a feature in WordStar to do footnotes?   If not in WordStar then
|perhaps a post-process program?

Depends on which version of WordStar.  The newer ones (IBM-PC) have
footnoting.  I don't believe any of the CP/M ones do, certainly 3.3
(which I use heavily on my Kaypro) does not.

The technique I use to do footnoting is to enter all of the text and
then hand-footnote at the bottom of each page.  This makes editting
very difficult, though.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (05/30/89)

There is a footnoting program available from the SIMTEL20 archives.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD2:<CPM.WSTAR>
FTNOTE14.LBR			BINARY	 35072  F08DH

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Paul Neubauer) (05/30/89)

+
+Depends on which version of WordStar.  The newer ones (IBM-PC) have
+footnoting.  I don't believe any of the CP/M ones do, certainly 3.3
+(which I use heavily on my Kaypro) does not.
+
+The technique I use to do footnoting is to enter all of the text and
+then hand-footnote at the bottom of each page.  This makes editting
+very difficult, though.

There are at least a couple of PD footnoting programs that take text files
with footnotes and reformat them to put the footnotes at the bottoms of the
pages.  I would be surprised if none of them were available on SIMTEL. I
doubt that I can email many (if any) copies of the .LBRs, but if necessary,
I can arrange to send floppies (5 1/4 only).  I can definitely handle Kaypro
and Osborne formats and some others.  Send email if you cannot get anything
from SIMTEL to arrange it.

--
Paul Neubauer         neubauer@bsu-cs.bsu.edu        neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP
                      <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!neubauer

h3x2@tank.uchicago.edu (andrew abrams shapiro) (06/01/89)

In article <890524-165543-10438@Xerox> "Terry_V._Reed.ESCP8"@XEROX.COM writes:
>Is there a feature in WordStar to do footnotes?   If not in WordStar then
>perhaps a post-process program?
>
>Thanks
>Terry

Nope.  WS for CP/M has no footnoting capability AT ALL.  However, there is
a PD program FNOTE14 available on most CP/M BBS systems that will do either
foot or end notes.  You can also buy a commercial program called FOOTNOTE
that works with CP/M WS.