[comp.os.cpm] 8080 FOCAL Language ?

secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard C. Secrist) (05/27/89)

A friend is looking for a version of 8080 FOCAL that he known to
exist for CP/M.  I have a Z-80 version of the language, if anyone
is interested, but he only runs an 8080.  It is not on Royal Oak
or the CompuServe CPMFORUM.  Guess I better get around to subscribing
to GEnie...

An alternative could be to pop a Z-80 in his DEC Robin (aka VT-180),
but I never heard of anybody trying it.

Thanks,
rcs.

jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (05/31/89)

In article <8905261925.AA12256@decwrl.dec.com> secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard C. Secrist) writes:
>A friend is looking for a version of 8080 FOCAL that he known to exist for
>CP/M.  I have a Z-80 version of the language, if anyone is interested, but he
>only runs an 8080. An alternative could be to pop a Z-80 in his DEC Robin
>(aka VT-180), but I never heard of anybody trying it.

Is the Z80 version the one that I sent to Bernie Eiben back when the MARKET
system was supporting KERMIT?  I did the conversion to CP/M on my VT180, which
uses a Z80.  (The "Robin" uses a Z80 instead of an 8080; Bernie also had ZCPR
running on it.)  I was about to add the Library Open functions so that FOCAL
could read CP/M disk files when I left the Colorado School of Mines and lost
access to a real TOPS-10 system.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (06/02/89)

In article <8905261925.AA12256@decwrl.dec.com> secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM (Richard C. Secrist) writes:

>An alternative could be to pop a Z-80 in his DEC Robin (aka VT-180),
>but I never heard of anybody trying it.

Ah come on Richard.  The Robin comes with a Z80 (as did the Rainbow).
Sure, it has a DEC 21-class part number on it, but it's a Z80.  The
Z80 version should run just fine.  It's interesting how soon the Robin
is forgotten at DEC. (They were referring users to me a year ago!)

By the way, anyone have an 8088 Focal?

Bill Pechter
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757