[comp.os.cpm] Frustrated...

JSHIN@HAMPVMS.BITNET ("C'est ma vie.") (06/18/89)

From:   HAMP::JSHIN        "C'est ma vie." 17-JUN-1989 21:22
To:     JSHIN
Subj:   l

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 89 21:15 EST
From: "C'est ma vie." <JSHIN@hampvms.bitnet>
Subject: Frustrated...
To: info-cpm.wsmr-simtel20.army.mil@hampvms.bitnet

Hi,

Could you bear to put up with my cries here, please?

I just finished downloading, uudecoding, and unarchiving all the items
in the PD:<cpm.draco> directory of the SIMTEL.  I was really, really
excited to do this becuase this was the only compiler set that even
promised to be a good one - with documentation and all that.

I (actually, my QX-10 and the dormitory phone line) spent the whole day
yesterday and today transfering DRACO-2 and 3.  I had to write a program
that will filter out Mail and Send (Tell) messages from my UUencoded
text (I usually use ED to do this, but the file was too big and ED is a
compulsive backer-upper).  So I sit down and say, how about an hour or
two relaxing hours of games, eh?

It didn't work.  I have a QX-10 which has a subset of Televideo 920
terminal command set.  I configured the "SET" files accordingly,.
All of the demo programs worked - pretty pictures - but all but two
of the games simply warm-booted out.

Question:  IS IT possible that CP/M exits  transient program because a
  special character is entered through the console?  One of the games
  that worked with TVI-920 definition refused to work with my customized
  terminal definition.

It's about time I got a real fast Modem and a real Kermit.. I can't take
this any more (Rogue and Z80-MR are the only ones taken from SIMTEL
that satisfied me - yet I bought 100 diskies thinking that I will find
tons of exciting stuff!).

Then again, maybe I should quit networking and become a Hermit programmer...

Has anyone here had any experience (positive, I hope) with DRACO?  Does
anyone know how I may contact Chris Gray (the DRACO's creator)?  Is his
Alberta address still valid?

I want to be sure I am on firm grounds before I really take on using
this - I don't have much time between my two summer jobs and an academic
project...

Thank you...
                                John Shin

To Keith:  If you think this is too long and wordy, edit it as you wish and
return me the original copy, please?  Thank you and sorry...