[comp.os.cpm] Unix.

") (07/04/89)

O.K.  Here's a real good one for you.  Laugh your heart out...

   Has anyone ported Unix to a CP/M (or any Z-80) machine?
Or, Is there a C compiler that is big and generic enough (or a Unix source
that is generic enough) to compile the system?

Heeeeeeeeee.............

                 -John Shin  (JShin@HampVMS)

P.S.  Hey; don't give me anything like "Z80 is too slow; too weak;  too
small," 'cause, architecturally speaking, with current technology, there
is no problem with coming up with a Z80 that runs at 100 MHz, and we all
know about memory mappers, don't we?  How about an FPU?

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (07/05/89)

In article <8907040701.AA14772@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JSHIN@HAMPVMS.BITNET ("Hey, I'm from Korea, too!") writes:
>   Has anyone ported Unix to a CP/M (or any Z-80) machine?

The answer is yes!

At least one version was distributed on the net recently under the name UZI.
I haven't tried it out so I can't comment on whether (or how well) it works,
although I recall it really needed a fast disk because of the swapping it
does.

--
Bill Swan  entropy.ms.washington.edu!sigma!bill  Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years:

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/06/89)

JSHIN@HAMPVMS.BITNET ("Hey, I'm from Korea, too!") sez:

> O.K.  Here's a real good one for you.  Laugh your heart out...
>
>    Has anyone ported Unix to a CP/M (or any Z-80) machine?
> Or, Is there a C compiler that is big and generic enough (or a Unix source
> that is generic enough) to compile the system?

Yes.

It's called U.Z.I. (Unix Z80 Implementation). Source is on Simtel (I think),
also on GEnie, or try this BBS:

(617) 965 7046
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) (07/06/89)

From article <8907040701.AA14772@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by JSHIN@HAMPVMS.BITNET ("Hey, I'm from Korea, too!"):

>    Has anyone ported Unix to a CP/M (or any Z-80) machine?
> Or, Is there a C compiler that is big and generic enough (or a Unix source
> that is generic enough) to compile the system?

Yes, there is a Unix for Z-80.  It's called UZI (neat name, yes?)
I have the source, I think Simtel has it as well.  It is in C with
a potload of inline assembler.  It was posted to comp.unix.sources
a few months ago.
Laugh, and let me know if it works.

Marc

--