[comp.os.cpm] WHAT ARE ????????.?Z? FILES?

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (07/11/89)

After a long time away from CP/M I'm getting my feet wet again.  I bought an
Apple /// with Softcard over the Memorial Day weekend.

I've been perloining the local BBS's for interesting programs and utilities.
Now, I know that ????????.?Q? files are files that have been compressed with
SQ and can be uncompressed with USQ.  But, I've scene a number of files with
????????.?Z? file names. What programs are these compressed by.

Second question.  I can find a few programs that will de-ARC *.ark files
(compatible with MS-DOS *.arc files).  Are there any CP/M programs to create
MS-DOS compatible archives?

Third question (related to the first).  Any LU type program that handles
library management, and automatically squeezes/unsqueezes files?

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

ianj@sactoh0 (Ian R. Justman) (07/13/89)

In article <685@greens.UUCP>, matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:
> Now, I know that ????????.?Q? files are files that have been compressed with
> SQ and can be uncompressed with USQ.  But, I've scene a number of files with
> ????????.?Z? file names. What programs are these compressed by.

Those files are compressed with a program called "CRUNCH".  You use
a program called "UNCRUNCH" to uncompress them.  Those programs are
self-documenting, so by typing "UNCRUNCH", "CRUNCH", "UNCR", "CR",
or whatever, you will get a syntatical diagram on how to use the
program.

> Second question.  I can find a few programs that will de-ARC *.ark files
> (compatible with MS-DOS *.arc files).  Are there any CP/M programs to create
> MS-DOS compatible archives?

Yes there is.  It's a program called ARKxxx where xxx is the
revision number.

> Third question (related to the first).  Any LU type program that handles
> library management, and automatically squeezes/unsqueezes files?

There is a program called NULU151 which does the job nicely.  It
will not only extract members of an .LBR file, it will unsqueeze
them, too.  However, I would like to see an uncrunching facility
added to it.

--
Home:   Ian Justman       |UUCP:                 |"One of the few
6612 Whitsett Drive       |                      |die-hard CP/M

larry.moore@f1.n250.z1.fidonet.org (larry moore) (07/14/89)

A Z as the middle letter of the file extension indicates a LZV crunched file. Look for crnch24.{.arc,.ark,.lbr} for source and uncrunch.com -
ARKP04 is the latest version of a SEA arcfile creator that runs under CP/M - UNARC16 is the latest version of a SEA arc member extracter/list.
Latest project is to have an UNZIP that runs under CP/M which extracts and list directory of a 'ZIP' archive - saw a note predicting within two months it'll be ready for release.  A couple of us in Toronto are thinking of writing a 'zip' archive creation program that would run under CP/M (it's a slow hot summer and we've gotta do SOMETHING to keep the juices going  :-)   ).
Lots happening in a supposedly dead operating system.
--- D'Bridge 1.21
 * Origin: | Colour Dragon VI | D'Bridge/TBBS | (416)-823-4521| (1:250/1)