[comp.os.cpm] Turb Modula 2 problems

wayne.hortensiu@canremote.uucp (WAYNE HORTENSIU) (10/03/89)

I'm unable to get REL.MCD to convert a .REL file to a .MCD file. When I
run it from with TM2, I get an out of memory error. Linking it to
REL.COM and running it from the command line gets me an
IllegalInstruction in module 7h/@p5 error. The call stack displays a
module name of AAAAAA, followed by READSY, followed by REL. The AAAAAA
certainly doesn't sound right...

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here? I've read that REL
is a memory hog, but it should be able to convert a short (8-line)
assembler file, shouldn't it?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (10/06/89)

In article <89100422391364@masnet.uucp> wayne.hortensiu@canremote.uucp (WAYNE HORTENSIU) writes:
>I'm unable to get REL.MCD to convert a .REL file to a .MCD file. When I
>run it from with TM2, I get an out of memory error. Linking it to
>REL.COM and running it from the command line gets me an
>IllegalInstruction in module 7h/@p5 error. The call stack displays a
>module name of AAAAAA, followed by READSY, followed by REL. The AAAAAA
>certainly doesn't sound right...

>Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here? I've read that REL
>is a memory hog, but it should be able to convert a short (8-line)
>assembler file, shouldn't it?

Unfortunately, REL.MCD cannot be made into a runnable .COM file.  The
REL.MCD for the unreleased TM2 1.1 is supposed to ba able to be made
into a COM file.  I ran across a reference to this on the old Echelon
ZNODE Central some time back.

Have you tried the simple example in the TM2 Reference Manual?  I was
able to .REL'ify it without difficulty with my Kaypro (57.25 K TPA).

My best suggestion is make sure that you have as much free memory as
possible.  Boot the bare minimum system that you can -- no TSR-type
programs, DateStamper, Z-System, externally loaded drivers, or
what-have-you.  Then try again.

If that fails, perhaps you find a CP/M machine with a bigger TPA that
you can use to generate the .REL files.  A CP/M 3.0 machine might
work well.
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@acn.purdue.edu

David_Michael_McCord@cup.portal.com (10/07/89)

I can speak with some authority on Turbo Modula.

The REL.MCD module CANNOT be linked to a COM file.    It needs to have
been originally written to do so, and it wasn't.

Even when it does run properly (under the TM2 shell as a MCD file), it
requires copious amounts of TPA to convert even one REL link item.  It
has been a few years since I researched it, but I seem to recall it needed
a 51k or 54k TPA system just to process a trivial REL file.  I can run it
fine on my 57k TPA DT42 Hyperspace Z-system.

Try running it under vanilla cp/m (if using z-system).

David_Michael_McCord@cup.portal.com