[comp.os.cpm] COBOL Compilers for CP/M

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (12/01/89)

>Hello there,
>
>a friend is working with COBOL on MSDOS-machines.
          (please convey my sympathy)
      [stuff deleted here!]
>Are there any other COBOL compilers for CP/M than Microsoft?

Used to be a company called "Ellis" that sold a [very inexpensive]
COBOL for CP/M (I believe).  It may have been little more than a
toy....I don't know.  They were located in San Francisco at one
time, but then they moved to Reno (to get closer to the tables??).
They alaso sold an editor "Nevada Edit" and FORTRAN.  They may
have moved over into the MSDOS world by now.  Try looking in the
advertiser's index in Byte....old ones, and new ones.

       roger             rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (12/01/89)

In article <2672@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>Used to be a company called "Ellis" that sold a [very inexpensive]
>COBOL for CP/M (I believe).  It may have been little more than a
>advertiser's index in Byte....old ones, and new ones.

There was a review of Ellis' COBOL for CP/M in Micro-Cornucopia
back '83 or so.  I don't have the article -- I've just seen it
in their listings of back issues.  You should still be able to
get it from them.  I don't have their address or phone number.
If you need it, let me know, and I will dig out an old issue.

Wait a minute, I do have a phone number, but I don't know if its
their BBS or their tech help line.  It's 503-382-8048.  You can
always try it; if you get a modem, you've got the BBS.  I believe
the hours for the tech line are just in the morning.  I called
them twice with questions about my Kaypro 2X.  They were quite
polite and helpful both times.  The second time, the guy I was
talking to just lifted the top off of the Kaypro he was using so
that he could see what I was talking about.  Kinda neat!
--
			Jeff Wieland
		    wieland@ecn.purdue.edu