[comp.os.cpm] Curiousity

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/21/89)

Just out of curiousity, has or does anyone out there know of somebody
that A) Has BYE???.COM working on a Trs-80 Model 4 using CPM 2.2 or
3.0?? Or B) Runs a decent BBS in 2.2 or 3.0???

Basically this is all I want to do, but half the files I request from SIMTEL20
have errors, probably because of ascii transmission. I would use kermit, but
I don't have a kermit program that actually works in CPM. I have Qterm, but it
doesn't work on my machine either!

I guess I'm outta luck, time to get a Mac...

Dave

jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) (12/21/89)

I've got an old version of BYE that works on my model 4.  It is up to you to
find a bbs to go with it, however.  Have you ever heard of Citadel?  I run
a Citadel board on my model 4.  Give it a call at (916) 381-4127 and see if
you like it.  After connect, type L to login, and follow the prompts.
If you like it, leave mail to "Jim Earl" and we can arrange a transfer of the
run-time code for you.  It runs on its own (it doesn't require BYE).

--
      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) (12/22/89)

+
+Basically this is all I want to do, but half the files I request from SIMTEL20
+have errors, probably because of ascii transmission. I would use kermit, but
+I don't have a kermit program that actually works in CPM. I have Qterm, but it
+doesn't work on my machine either!
+
+I guess I'm outta luck, time to get a Mac...
+
+Dave

Well, this  is going to be usefull... :)  I have BYE510 at home.  I don't know
if I have it only in library format or if it is actually working (yes, I have
a Model 4), and I do know someone that does run a BBS from a Model 4.

Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
 decided to fight fire with fire...       |
 basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

In article <2890@mmsac.UUCP> jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) writes:
+
+I've got an old version of BYE that works on my model 4.  It is up to you to
+find a bbs to go with it, however.  Have you ever heard of Citadel?  I run
+a Citadel board on my model 4.  Give it a call at (916) 381-4127 and see if
+you like it.  After connect, type L to login, and follow the prompts.
+If you like it, leave mail to "Jim Earl" and we can arrange a transfer of the
+run-time code for you.  It runs on its own (it doesn't require BYE).
+
+--
+      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
+          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu
+   =======================================================================
+                  The opinions stated herein are all mine.

Hi Jim...   Zoomie here.

Chad:  This was the guy I was going to point you to for a BBS, as well as
another person who is running a BBS on the Model 3 mode of the Model 4 (that
ought to confuse all others out there).

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/23/89)

In article <2890@mmsac.UUCP> jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) writes:

>I've got an old version of BYE that works on my model 4.  It is up to you to
>find a bbs to go with it, however.  Have you ever heard of Citadel?  I run
>a Citadel board on my model 4.  Give it a call at (916) 381-4127 and see if
>you like it.  After connect, type L to login, and follow the prompts.
>If you like it, leave mail to "Jim Earl" and we can arrange a transfer of the
>run-time code for you.  It runs on its own (it doesn't require BYE).
>
>--
>      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
>          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu
>   =======================================================================
>                  The opinions stated herein are all mine.

Is there any way that you can uuencode the bye lbr and send it to me?

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/24/89)

In article <1393@mipos3.intel.com> jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) writes:

>Well, this  is going to be usefull... :)  I have BYE510 at home.  I don't know
>if I have it only in library format or if it is actually working (yes, I have
>a Model 4), and I do know someone that does run a BBS from a Model 4.

>Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
> decided to fight fire with fire...       |
> basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

Ok, that sounds good, is there a way of you netmailing it to me?
By the way what sort of software do you have for your 4?

Dave

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/24/89)

Hmm, Ok, does Citadel require major configuring for the Model 4?
And also, you mentioned that you know someone that runs a BBS in Model 3 mode
of his model 4? What BBS program is he running?

Dave

jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) (12/24/89)

Er, I don't have the original BYE source library.  All I have is
BYE.COM, but you are welcome to it, if you want it.  If you do, then
I'll have to figure out how to send it via UUCP (I've never done it before).
--
      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu
                  The opinions stated herein are all mine.

jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) (12/24/89)

Since I already have Citadel ported to my model 4, I'll I'd have to do
is send you the run-time code.  All you'd have to do is run it, and
you'd be off.  You would be off and running in about half an hour.
Citadel comes with built-in help files, and a program called CONFIGUR
that creates all the files that Citadel needs to run.  You run it once
when you first setup Citadel (first, you edit a textfile called
ctdlcnfg.sys that has info in it like your sysop password, how many k
to use for the msg base, whether or not you have a clock, etc.)  It in
turn, creates a file called ctdltabl.sys, that Citadel reads in to
memory when you run it.  Citadel is a room-based system, that needs
hardly any mantenence.  The msg base "auto wraps" over itself, so old
msgs scroll off the system by themselves.  Do you want to try it?
--

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) (12/24/89)

In article <1989Dec23.164624.5591@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umrose05@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Dave Rose) writes:

>Hmm, Ok, does Citadel require major configuring for the Model 4?
>And also, you mentioned that you know someone that runs a BBS in Model 3 mode
>of his model 4? What BBS program is he running?
>
>Dave

He's running Nybble (a self pirated, then modified program).  Course, I'm not
sure on the pirated part.  Just what I've heard...and you know how stories go
among hackers...they get more software loops in them the more they get parsed
along. :)

The BBS program that Jim "Lips" Earl is running is ready to run on the Model
4, since he is currently running it on one now.

If you can send me an email address, then I'll let you know what kinds of
programs I have for CP/M, Model 3 mode, Model 4 mode, etc...

  For some reason, I'm not able to send mail to you.

In article <2918@mmsac.UUCP> jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) writes:
+Er, I don't have the original BYE source library.  All I have is
+BYE.COM, but you are welcome to it, if you want it.  If you do, then
+I'll have to figure out how to send it via UUCP (I've never done it before).
+--
+      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
+          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu
+   =======================================================================
+                  The opinions stated herein are all mine.

Easy Jim...I can call up your BBS, download it to my system, upload it to my
works system, then mail it (if I get a good address) to Dave.

Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
 decided to fight fire with fire...       |
 basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) (12/24/89)

His Citadel is pretty cool (Jim, don't ask me why I don't call very much
any more), and is usually the one that stays up all the time, come hell, high
water, earthquake or power outages...Just how do you do it Jim? :)

Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
 decided to fight fire with fire...       |
 basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) (12/25/89)

I tried a bunch of different bbs programs, until I found one that I
liked and was virtually maintenence-free.  It is one of the most
popular boards in Sacramento.
--

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (12/26/89)

In article <2919@mmsac.UUCP> jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) writes:
>Since I already have Citadel ported to my model 4, I'll I'd have to do
>is send you the run-time code.  All you'd have to do is run it, and
>you'd be off.  You would be off and running in about half an hour.
>Citadel comes with built-in help files, and a program called CONFIGUR
>that creates all the files that Citadel needs to run.  You run it once
>when you first setup Citadel (first, you edit a textfile called
>ctdlcnfg.sys that has info in it like your sysop password, how many k
>to use for the msg base, whether or not you have a clock, etc.)  It in
>turn, creates a file called ctdltabl.sys, that Citadel reads in to
>memory when you run it.  Citadel is a room-based system, that needs
>hardly any mantenence.  The msg base "auto wraps" over itself, so old
>msgs scroll off the system by themselves.  Do you want to try it?
>--
>      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
>          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu
>   =======================================================================
>                  The opinions stated herein are all mine.

I definately want to try it!!! Please send it to me, I hear that it can
also netmail or at least transfer messages from node to node, does this
work?? Also is there a structured tree system for the nodes??

Dave

In article <1401@mipos3.intel.com> jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) writes:

>He's running Nybble (a self pirated, then modified program).  Course, I'm not
>sure on the pirated part.  Just what I've heard...and you know how stories go
>among hackers...they get more software loops in them the more they get parsed
>along. :)
>
>The BBS program that Jim "Lips" Earl is running is ready to run on the Model
>4, since he is currently running it on one now.
>

>If you can send me an email address, then I'll let you know what kinds of
>programs I have for CP/M, Model 3 mode, Model 4 mode, etc...
>
>  For some reason, I'm not able to send mail to you.

>Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
> decided to fight fire with fire...       |
> basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

Ok, my address is...

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca

That is it. My mailer seems to work with everyone else, I'll try sending
you email to your address and see if it makes it through.

If so, we'll continue there!

Dave

In article <1402@mipos3.intel.com> jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) writes:

>Easy Jim...I can call up your BBS, download it to my system, upload it to my
>works system, then mail it (if I get a good address) to Dave.

>Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
> decided to fight fire with fire...       |
> basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

That sounds like a plan, and if worse comes to worse and we can't somehow
get email through then we can post messages like this, but warn everyone that
it is a file.

Dave