[comp.os.cpm] 3-1/2" disc drives

tech@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Richard Loken) (01/06/90)

I recently embarked on a project to put 3-1/2" 1.44 Mbyte wafer drives in my
dear old TRS80 Model II.  I randomly purchased 3 Panasonic drives and got out
my dentist pliers and got the pinouts and some jumper info from Matsushita.

The gentleman at Matsushita says there are a myraid of variations and he has
never heard of the one I have.  It seems to set all its options with cute little
switches - but only six.  The man from Matsushita has not heard of this method
and he has not heard of half the options.  Something was said about unauthorized
importers and venders.  Two interesting options are:

	AT - PS2	(gag, yuck, my trash-80 may reject them)
	A - B

Any idea what these two do??

How do you terminate these little rice boxes?  I see not a hint of a termination
avenue.  I will install them and experiment and if I can't find a way then I
will build a tiny board ... but really there must be a way.

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    tech@cs.AthabascaU.CA	{alberta|decwrl}!atha!tech

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/10/90)

In article <1388@atha.AthabascaU.CA>, tech@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Richard Loken) writes:
> I recently embarked on a project to put 3-1/2" 1.44 Mbyte wafer drives in my
> dear old TRS80 Model II.  I randomly purchased 3 Panasonic drives and got out
> my dentist pliers and got the pinouts and some jumper info from Matsushita.
>

> 	AT - PS2	(gag, yuck, my trash-80 may reject them)
> 	A - B

	AT - PS2 probably governs the operation of the Diskette Changed/Drive
	Ready line. ATs need diskette changed, and I had assumed that PS/2s
	did also.

	It is also possible that this controls drive selects in conjunction
	with the A - B option. ATs have a twisty in the cable so that all
	drives are jumpered as drive one. It is mildly possible that PS/2s
	do not, and the A - B switch would control the drive select (either
	0 or 1) if the thing is in PS/2 mode.

> How do you terminate these little rice boxes?  I see not a hint of a termination
> avenue.

	These buggers usually have high-resistance terminators (abt 3k)
	in them that are hard wired on. Since the terminators are high
	resistance, it doesn't really hurt to have two terminated
	drives in the system.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321