[comp.os.cpm] CP/M Clock

ianj@sactoh0.UUCP (Ian R. Justman) (01/10/90)

Just curious, has anyone successfully implemented the MM58174AN
real-time clock chip on their system, whether S-100 bus or not?  If
so, I would very much like to know how, as I got a large system I'm
using for spare parts.

Thanks muchly in advance.
--
Home:   Ian Justman   |UUCP:(1) My CP/M machine.       |"One of the few
6612 Whitsett Drive   |     (2) My host.               |die-hard CP/M

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) (01/11/90)

In article <2401@sactoh0.UUCP> ianj@sactoh0.UUCP (Ian R. Justman) writes:
+Just curious, has anyone successfully implemented the MM58174AN
+real-time clock chip on their system, whether S-100 bus or not?  If
+so, I would very much like to know how, as I got a large system I'm
+using for spare parts.

Check with Jim "Lips" Earl.  He's got a clock setup using the MM58274 (extra
bells and whistles), which is essentially the same.  I'd send you a schematic,
but I still haven't unpacked since moving in that stuff last year.  If he
can't find it, let me know, and I'll dig up a copy for you.
+
+Thanks muchly in advance.
No problem. ;)
+--
+Home:   Ian Justman   |UUCP:(1) My CP/M machine.       |"One of the few
+6612 Whitsett Drive   |     (2) My host.               |die-hard CP/M
+North Highlands, CA   |(1) !pacbell!sactoh0!ijsys!ianj |addicts left on this
+(916) 344-5360   95660|(2) !pacbell!sactoh0!ianj       |planet"

Fireman to homeowner:    At one point we  |     Justin Masters
 decided to fight fire with fire...       |
 basically your house burned even faster. | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

ameyer@nsscb.UUCP (Andy Meyer) (01/12/90)

In article <2401@sactoh0.UUCP> ianj@sactoh0.UUCP (Ian R. Justman) writes:
> Just curious, has anyone successfully implemented the MM58174AN
> real-time clock chip on their system, whether S-100 bus or not?

If your system has a Z80 CPU, you may want to try a Kenmore Z-Time clock.
It's a piggyback board which plugs into the CPU socket of your machine
and then you plug your CPU chip into the clock board. It looks very
easy to "talk to", although I'm still having a tough time trying to
cram one into my Altos 580. (The motherboard is below the hard disk
and controller, and there's very little clearance. Then, of course, the
40-pin DIP headers I bought to build an extender cable hang too far over
the edges of the socket, and interfere with other chips...)

I don't have their address handy, but the Z-Time clock is made by an
outfit in Rochester, NY. It shouldn't be too tough to find one.

Andy
--
 Andreas Meyer N2FYE                 AT&T National Systems Support Center
 uucp: ..!sunybcs!nsscb!ameyer  or:  ameyer%nsscb@sunybcs.cs.buffalo.edu

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (01/12/90)

There are plans in the Jul/Aug 1981 Microsystems Journal (p. 64) for a S-100
clock based on the MSM5832 chip.  It uses an 8255 PPI chip for the clock
port.  Those of you with eleven bits of unused parallel port could probably
rig up the clock chip on that with a minimum of parts count.  I just got done
wire wrapping the complete circuit for my S-100 system, and it works fine.
Unfortunately the software published in the article got munged, so if
anyone is interested, I can provide listings of what I came up with.  I've
got two clock-read entry points in ROMed code.  One reads the clock and
returns to the monitor (a monitor "date" command is next!), the other does
a ret just like any other subroutine, so it can be called from an application.
When CP/M boots, it prints the date and date at the top of the screen, and I
put the day and date on printed listings.  I just wish that there was an
easy way to timestamp files in CP/M 2.2 @:^).

              roger               rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov